How likely is it for teeth to move back to their original position after braces? Can teeth become worse than they were before?

I am finishing up my invisalign treatment and plan to wear the retainer every night for a year, then three times a week for a year, followed by once a week for the rest of my life. From patient experience would you say that is enough to prevent teeth movement? Thanks

Invisalign Retainers

Thank you for posting your question.  In general, teeth are like springs.  They like to spring back to there original position.  There are many factors that determine occlusal stability.  You will have to see as you wear the retainers if you feel any movement when the retainer is not in.  Speak to you dentist regarding what your experience is and he/she can guide you accordingly.  A Pankey trained dentist can help you achieve a more stable occlusion.  Hope that helps!  Good Luck!

New York Dentist

Wear your #Invisalign retainers as prescribed to prevent relapse #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
How often and how long your retainer should be worn depends on several factors, such as how misaligned your teeth were prior to treatment and whether or not your feel your teeth shifting when the retainers are not in place.  Treatment differs from patient to patient, so I would recommend following the guidelines given to you by your orthodontist to prevent relapse. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100