I have a small gap in between my bottom two front teeth. I am looking for an alternative to braces to get them fixed. (photos)

I had braces for almost three years and got them off about a year ago. I never wore my plastic retainers and I only got a permanent retainer on my top teeth. Is there any way I can get my teeth fixed without going back to braces?

Closing gap

You don't mention why you didn't wear your retainers or why you didn't get a fixed retainer on the bottome. A fixed retainer on the bottom is the most common type of retainer because patients don't like wearing removable retainers. You can fix this problem with either bonding, veneers or Invisalign.   You also really need to wear a retainer after the space is closed. Your teeth will continue to shift and move if you don't. This is not the fault of your orthodontist. It's a natural occurrence. 

Small Gap

Your small gap is likely a result of the lower front teeth shifting back toward where they previously were. You have several options:- go back and see the person that did your braces and see what he or she suggest-have your general dentist do some bonding on the sides of the teeth to close the space. Then, have a lower retainer made to hold them in place.-a cosmetic dentist could do a couple veneers to close the space. We do a lot of veneers, and I think the bonding is a better choice. If you do veneers, you also need a retainer.- an orthodontist or a capable general dentist could make a active retainer to move those teeth back together. We do that quite often.- Invisalign or braces are also an option. Both are too costly and involved for what you want to accomplish. If you do either, you need a retainer.So, you have many options. Best of luck!

Charles Briscoe, DDS
La Jolla Dentist

Removable Orthodontic Appliance therapy

You could have a Removable Orthodontic Appliance called a spring retainer made which would close that gap within a few weeks. Another treatment would be Invisalign 5 which would not cost as much as regular Invisalign for such a minimal problem as you have. Once the teeth are in place, you should have a fixed wire retainer bonded to the lingual surface of your lower teeth as you probably are not going to be a good retainer wear as you've shown already. If you don't move them back together, you could have some bonding done. Even the best cosmetic dentist would have a hard time doing two veneers to make this look correct so I don't recommend a veneer option in your situation.Douglas Jopling,  DDS Dallas Texas area

#Veneers are a great alternative #DrSoftTouch

Hello Louie,
Invisalign is an option for you.  However, after treatment you will again be required to wear a retainer or you risk your teeth relapsing.  Another option would be porcelain veneers.  Veneers would take 1-2 appointments and would be expected to last you 20 years or so. Consult a cosmetic dentist to determine your options, and always look at before and after photos when selecting your dentist. They will give you a good idea about what you can expect. I've attached a link to a before and after photo of a patient of mine that wanted the instant fix of veneers rather than having braces for several years. Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100