I used 75% TCA to attempt to remove mole, is this discoloration going to bed or go away? (photo)

I put TCA on Q-tip and placed it on the mole, it spread into a larger circle (as you can see in picture) the area frosted and burned some, I left it on for about 2 to 3 minutes I apply neutralizer to stop the spreading. The skin looks like this, it's not flaking or dry at all and feels like normal skin. will this go away?? the directions I read to remove mole say to repeat everyday until mole comes off, but should I stop?

Doctor Answers 5

Too high a strength- TCA permanent scar possible.

See someone asap. This is the concentration we use to fix scars ie. TCA CROSS. This concentration of TCA is super super dangerous and can lead to a full thickness burn with long term irreversible scarring. 

What should you do now?  See a Specialist to fix it up asap. 

I do not endorse peels at home of more than 8% TCA- see video below. Anything stronger, see a Board Certified specialist. 

Dr Davin Lim 
Brisbane, Australia. 

Brisbane Dermatologist
4.7 out of 5 stars 75 reviews

TCA Burn -- PLEASE SEE BOARD CERTIFIED MD; Seek expert for COSMETIC Mole Removal

Do not do a TCA peel at home, 75% is a very high concentration. This type of peel needs an expert with the proper technique and skill. You should see an expert for evaluation. Mole removal should be performed in a clinic by an experienced dermatologist. Best, Dr. Emer.

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

75% TCA Self Administered?

A 75% concentration of TCA is an extremely high concentration and not intended for this purpose.  You might as well use a hot poker, because the aesthetic result will be poor from using high concentration acid to remove a facial lesion.  Please see a Dermatologist or Facial Plastic Surgeon for your own benefit.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Self removal of mole

You should go to a dermatologist to have the lesion evaluated and removed. Not all moles are dangerous, but you should always have them looked at by an experienced provider to determine the need for biopsy and the best method of removal. Trying to save money by removing the growth yourself will often times cost more in the long run to repair damage done because of inexperience.  

Lee P. Laris, DO
Phoenix Dermatologist
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Seek out medical care

Please seek out expert medical care from a dermatologist or plastic surgeon well-versed in peels and skin resurfacing, for both your current concern and any future questions.  75% is a really high TCA concentration, and may very well result in a burn, scarring, and pigment changes in your skin.  

Inessa Fishman, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.