Autoimmune Disease and Successful Fat Grafting to Cheeks?

Does my autoimmune thyroid disease (Hashimoto's) make me a poor candidate for achieving permanent fat grafting to my cheeks, and if so, WHY? I am 45. I had cheek implants in 2004, one quickly shifted and had to be reinserted, and now in 2012 one seems infected. Researchers now believe the currently-used implants often get covered with a biofilm and become a locus for chronic inflammatory disease, so I want fat grafting. Any hope for me? Alternative ideas?

autoimmune disease & successful fat grafting to cheeks?

Get thyroid disease under control

It is unlikely that fat grafting will cause a flareup of your Hashimotos. If I were your surgeon, I would get clearance from your endocrinologist first, and then schedule surgery.

If you had Thyroid Eye Disease from your Hashimotos, then I would need to make sure that your eye condition was stable before doing surgery.

Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

Hashimotos thyroiditis

Treat the Hashimoto thyroditis first. When you are not on medications to decrease the immunity then do the surgery you want