Are my malar fat pads in the right position? (Photo)

Growing up I have noticed I was not quite as attractive as my peers. One by one, I have been working on improving these defects with trial and error. It is difficult to know exactly how to fix the imbalance, as each surgeon has their own answer and methods, and not all answers are the same nor do they produce the same result. I have been concerned about my midface for a while and I've come to realize that perhaps I have a genetic defect of malar fat pad malpositioning.

Unhappy with facial appearance

Your photo shows that your lateral canthus (outer eye) lies below the inner canthus - called a negative vector.
It often accompanies rather flat cheek bones.

See an experience Board Certified Plastic Surgeon if this is truly troublesome - x-rays and careful analysis may be needed to decide what is most likely to help you reach your goals.

That said - you are young, have a great smile and are handsome and your face is memorable as well.
It's a great combination. 

Normal variant!

You look totally normal and look the way you look because of heredity.   If you desire to change an already pretty face you might consider cheek implants and lifting of the malar fat pads which only lift so far.  Fat grafts may play a role as well as Juvederm and Voluma.   This is not a quick one step fix.  You will need an ABPS-FACS surgeon that will work with you over a several year period to achieve the max.  Take good care.  My Best, Dr C

Volume deficiency in the periocular region can benefit from fillers.

There's really no right or wrong malar fat position. There's clearly volume deficiency above and malar fat that in the periocular area. Fillers may be a place to start but formal cheek implants may be indicated.

Facial Aesthetics

There is nothing "wrong" with your facial features or your genetics.  However our appearance is governed by our inherited traits from our parents, and our perception is governed by our aspirations and comparisions.  There is some fullness to your midface in the central anterior dimension and relatively less fullness to the lateral, and zygomatic portions of the facial structure.  For patients desiring reshaping of the face at a young age, careful use of fillers is probably the best option.  Fillers such as fat or sculptra can provide substantial reshaping potential to help you achieve your desired goal. 

Mid face and malar fat pads

Surgery of this nature is an art as well as a science. You will always get a surgeons own preference, based on their experience, training and expertise, but also their own artistic style.
Some like subtle, some like pronounced, what's most important is to find a surgeon whose own style meshes well with yours, and who you can work with.
In your situation  and without seeing you possible alternatives range from cheek implants tomalar fat pad repositoning to fat transfer and multiple other possibilities- you just need to find someone who will take the time to understand what you want and to discuss the pros and cons as each method has good and not so good points.

Malar fat pads

It is not a defect or a genetic defect. People look different. Some people have higher cheekbones and some people high fat pads positioned highly as well. Nonetheless, you have several options to improve your malar area. These include bony augmentation (cheek implants)', fillers or a midface lift. Surgeons have different answers because each surgeon is comfortable with different types of procedures, try to find a board certified surgeon with expertise in the face with whom you can establish a good rapport. 

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon