I'm on isotretinoin but my skin is still very oily and the acne hasn't improved, is the drug working?

I've been placed on 20mg isotretinoin daily for 2 weeks now. People have told me that my skin will become very dry and I'll need to moisturize it.. though I'm finding that whenever I came home or wake up in the morning and feel my face, I can still see heavy amounts of oil on it, and so moisturizing it is surely counterproductive as a result? My lips however are getting a bit dryer, but nothing major, and my acne has actually worsened over the past 15 days. Should I be worried? Is my dose too low?

Too soon for results

Most patients are taking accutane for 3 month or longer.   So if you have only been taking the medication for 2 weeks, I don't think you will start seeing the results that you are looking for.   So continue to take the medication as long as there aren't any side effects and be patient.

Bellevue Family Physician

Accutane expectations

Thank you for your question. Results with Accutane therapy vary per individual. In my opinion, two weeks of therapy is too soon to notice any improvement with your acne. Also, your progress may be related to the dose you are taking daily. Accutane dosing is based on your weight, which is 1 mg per kilogram for 4 months; therefore, if you are taking a low dose, then improvement and side effects may be minimal. The dryness that you were told you will experience is related to the dose you are taking, which means the higher the dose, the more dryness you will experience. I highly recommend you consult with your prescribing physician regarding your concerns and questions. Take care and good luck.

Reuel Aspacio, MD, FAAD