Could a chin osteotomy change my square-shaped face into longer, oval shaped face? (Photo)

I think the shape of my face is beautiful but it is rather short from a profile view. Is it possible to lengthen the jaw, not push it forward, but down and if so would this give me a more oval shaped face? Also how long is the recovery time for this surgery?

Doctor Answers 3

Jaw Angleplasty with genioplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Do you want oval shape face?
My opinion is jaw angleplasty(mandibular angle reduction) and genioplasty.
Operation take one hour and recovery take one month.

South Korea Plastic Surgeon

Improving chin contour

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
 Thank you for the pictures. I agree with Dr. Eppley that you need vertical height and a small amount of projection to your chin. Either genioplasty or an implant can achieve this goal. Please seek in the valuation from either a board-certified plastic surgeon or board-certified or the maxillofacial surgeon.

Sliding Genioplasty

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are correct about the effects of a sliding genioplasty on your square lower face. By bringing the chin bone forward and down you will create a longer and more oval facial shape. Such  similar effect can also be created by a custom designed chin-jawline implant.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.