My breasts are square or flat at the bottom. Is this normal? Is it part of the healing process?

I am almost at my two weeks post op. Had a breast lift and breast augmentation done. I've looked at several pictures and haven't noticed anyone having this problem.

Breast Shape after Mastopexy Augmentation

Breast shape will change over the first month after a mastopexy augmentation. Proper lower pole support and proper choice of mastopexy technique will tend to give the lower pole some tightness which will relax over time. It would be important to return to your plastic surgeon to discuss the issues.

Healing process

At 2 weeks it is still early in the healing process after breast lift and augmentation. As the implants soften, settle and drop the breast shape will change along with cleavage. Give your body time to heal as it can take 3 months to see your results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have for his or her evaluation and advice . Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francsico Bay Area

#realself #breastaugmentation #breastlift #drdeanvistnes

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Normal for Early Healing

Dear bear13,

If you had a lift with implants this is actually a good thing. You can be sure that with time and gravity you will get some settling of the implants and rounding out. This is what the breast lift is trying to counteract, so do not fear. You will get rounding. You are very early in the healing process.

I hope this has been helpful.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Mastopexy can create a 'flat' lower pole

and it will round out more with time, healing, and settling.  And if it doesn't, you should be able to discuss it with your surgeon as simple solutions should be out there to provide you the outcome you want.

Curtis Wong, MD

Square Breast after lift with implants

Hi Bear13,

Thanks for your question. It is normal sometimes to have a flat or square appearance to bottom of your breast if the implants were placed under the muscle as the muscle pulls the implants up. I would recommend a breast strap if that was what was done. The implants settle and increase the roundness at the bottom. Seek your plastic surgeons advice. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS
@breastlift @breastaugmentation @docmata #drcarlosmata
and photos.

Am I healing ok?

Thank you for your recent question! At this point you are still early in the healing process and it can take some time for the tissues to settle and take a natural shape.  Your breasts will start to look and feel more natural at 3 months .  Best of luck!

Inferior pole will round out as the implant settles

Thanks for your question. Congratulations on your surgery. It is likely that as the implants drop and settle, this will round out the bottom of the breast. The attachments of the pectoralis are released when the implant is placed beneath the muscle. Provided this has been done, things should settle out. Care must be taken to avoid releasing too much near the lower crease for fear of bottoming out. Some patients have a very high and tight crease and this ultimately limits how much can be done. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD