Is it normal to return to work right after getting Restylane silk lip filler? And when is it advisable to wear makeup again?

Plus any tips to prevent swelling and bruising?

Returning to work after Restylane Silk to lips

It is fine to go back to work after having Restylane Silk injections to your lip. Just be aware that there will be some element of swelling to the lips and they will be larger than the final result for the first 24 hours. 

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Downtime of Lip Augmentation with Fillers

You can return to work after Restylane Silk injections to lips however swelling typically peaks within the first couple of days after injections so it really depends on your comfort level with your job and coworkers. There is also a risk of bruising. Ice after treatment can help reduce swelling. Post care instructions regarding ice and wearing makeup will be given at your visit.

Kathleen Morno, MD
Highland Park Physician

Things to do after lip injection with restylane silk

I recommend that you ice as much as possible after a lip injection. If you are able to ice at work, you could return to work. Often people will do lip injections on Friday so they can ice that night and the next night. I find that taking arnica montana and drinking pineapple juice help with swelling.

Jean Keamy, MD
Westborough Ophthalmologist

Restylane Silk....

Yes, you can return back to work after any injections.  There are no job restrictions.  However, you may want to consider that there will be swelling, possible bruises, and some numbness to the area that was injected.  If you are open with your co-workers that is absolutely fine.  As for makeup, as long as you are not actively bleeding I see that there should not be any problem.  Enjoy!

Grant Stevens, MD

Return to work after lip filler

Thanks for your question!  Some people feel that they're able to go back to work right after lip injections.  Others take the rest of the day off.  I recommend that if you have never had lip injections before, I recommend patient's to take the next day off as you do not know how much swelling or bruising you may have.

Swelling after Restylane silk

It is normal to have bruising and swelling after Restylane silk and other fillers.  Ice packs and Arnica can help.  Good luck!

Jennifer Trent, MD, FAAD
Sarasota Dermatologic Surgeon

Swelling from Restylane Silk can vary from mild to significant. In the few hours after the injection, most patients' lips do not swell to the point that they need to avoid being in public. However, you may experience significant swelling 5 or 6 hours after the injection as well as during the morning after. Swelling should then begin to subside through the second day. Wearing makeup post injection is not an issue! Best of luck. 

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Restylane Silk Lip Injections

I use Silk almost exclusively when I inject lips. Handles smoothly and avoids duck appearance. Highlights lip edges and appears to hydrate. The lips are very vascular and I advise to expect 1-3 days of light bruising. Not something I feel is best done over a lunch hour, unlike Botox. Makeup can be applied immediately. Icing is key. My patients receive an ice pack for 5 minutes post procedure. Also advised to apply ice pack to lips for 20 minutes out of every hour that evening. Natural result, that doesn't look overdone, usually appears when swelling has subsided. Take it easy the night following the injection. Grab a SinEcch arnica pack after the procedure, and you're basically prophylaxing against swelling from all angles. Best of luck.

Most patients have a little swelling, but nothing to the point that one must stay home from work.  Bruising can occur, so make sure you avoid Aspirin and anti-inflammatories prior to your treatment.  I advise patients they can wear make-up a half hour after treatment.

Downtime after lip filler

Hello, and thanks for your question. 

Swelling and bruising are common, but most people can go to work right after. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon