Did my lip filler disappear 4 days later? (Photo)

I had restylane silk injected in my lips for the first time 4 days ago. I'm so disappointed. It seems like it's totally gone. I know lips swell & often times people are disappointed when it subsides. I have a 2 week follow up appointment next week. Can I add more that day and is it standard to be charged to add it? The photos below are as follows..first one is before injections, the second one is right after the injections (I loved the initial result), the third one is 4 days after injections.

Restylane Silk / Lip Augmentation/ Hyaluronic acid fillers

I appreciate your question.

As you stated, the swelling is starting to subside and you are now seeing the volume that was placed. There is marked improvement in volume between the pre and post treatment day 4 day picture. I would recommend that you wait 2 weeks and the return to your Injecting MD to discuss your results.  You will be charged for additional filler used.  

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Lip filler is not gone after 4 days

The last picture actually shows bigger lips than the before pic. Staging injections is never a bad idea because it allows the doctor to fine tune the lips on the 2nd treatment. Big lips take more filler and this is completely within normal results for lip fillers. Further treatment should be discussed with your doc including pricing before starting. Silk is my choice for enhancing lips but sometimes I combine with Restylane to get the bigger lips.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Fillers

You are now seeing the final results that were placed with the lip fillers. The swelling has started to subside and that is why you are seeing a decrease in volume. Swelling can last anywhere between 1-2 weeks.  I would recommend that you wait 2 weeks and then if you are not happy with your results, you may return to your injecting physician where you can definitely have the opportunity for additional fillers.  In most offices, yes, you will be charged for any additional fillers used. Best, Dr. Green

Lip Volume

Setting realistic expectations is key when considering different products for lip enhancement. Restylane Silk creates the most subtle enhancement of all the lip fillers. There is a noticeable improvement in your lip volume, however, if you'd like a greater volume increase I would recommend revisiting you doctor after 2 weeks to discuss treatment with Restylane or Juvederm. It is likely you will be charged. Best of luck!

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Restylane Silk - Do I still have it in my lips?

Thank you for your question. By day # 4, the swelling subsides and you are close to your final result. It appears you have a marked improvement in your lip volume. I suggest following up with your injector 2 weeks following injection for a re-evaluation. You should have an excellent result.

Did my lip filler disappear 4 days later?

You most certainly did not loos the effects of the Restylane Silk.  If you look at the before photo and compare with he photo taken 4 days later, there is marked improvement in the volume.  If you liked the way your lips looked when they were swollen, then it simply means that you can have a bit more filler injected.  two weeks is a good time to wait and see the final result.  You will have to pay additional fees for the second syringe of RS

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Lip filler

Thanks for your photo and question.  It would be important to know how much filler was injected.  There is always some swelling which subsides, but you likely still have some increase in volume compared to before. If you are looking to add significant volume, then you might want to consider a different filler like Voluma or Lyft.  Silk is great for defining lip borders and creating a very natural fullness.  You will most likely be charged for any additional filler you wish to inject in your lips. Best of luck!

Josh Waltzman, MD, MBA
Long Beach Physician

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat

If you feel more is needed it can be injected at anytime going forward.  Use something more robust like voluma or lyft if you want more volume.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Thank you for your question.  If you show your plastic surgeon these pictures and your desired result, I am sure you will be able to achieve the look of the more augmented lip.  You have not lost all of your result, but rather you preferred the look when the lip was still swollen.  Personally, I like your current result, but that is a personal choice.

There are other fillers, like Restylane or Juvederm Ultra that can be used to add more volume and give you the look you desire.  It can be better to augment lips gradually, as it is much easier to add more volume than to remove volume. Your plastic surgeon should be able to tell you if you still have some swelling at your two week appointment, in which case you'll want to wait until that is completely resolved before adding more filler to avoid further disappointment.  Most likely you will be able to have some additional filler at the two week appointment.  

Since fillers are charged by the syringe, there may be an additional charge to have your lips augmented further.   In our office we typically do touch-ups without a charge if the patient wishes a little extra volume.   Best of luck to you.

Steven L. Ringler, MD, FACS
Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Lip filler

Great question. What has happened is that you had initial swelling from the injection which has now subsided and you are seeing the result of amount that was placed. That being said, you still have a significant difference from when before the filler was placed. However, if you are not satisfied with the volume then I would wait two weeks for all swelling to resolve and discuss adding more volume at your next visit. You may want to consider a more robust filler such as Restylane or Juvederm Ultra. These fillers are able to provide more volume into the lip. And yes, if you are placing more filler into your lips then you will have to pay for more syringes. 

Lenore Sikorski, MD
Orange County Dermatologist