How much will it cost me to have a gynecomastia surgery? (Photo)

Im a senior in high school trying to get rid of my gynecomastia issue. I've tried cardio and weight lifting but it doesn't seem to work, it even grew bigger with weight lifting, I've had this issue for as long as I can remember anything and every doctor I see keeps telling me it will leave in time but its been 16 years and still no change

Teen Concerned About Gynecomastia and Surgery Costs

Several common factors can cause gynecomastia including excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions.
Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia. Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood.
Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18.

According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons the average #cost of #gynecomastia surgery can vary widely. #Surgery quotes should include the procedure itself, operating room facilities, anesthesia fees, surgeon’s fees, medical tests, post-surgery garments, prescription medication and other related costs. Most plastic surgery offices offer convenient finance plans that allow patients to pay a low monthly payment.
Costs will also vary with geographic location. Estimated costs can be found here on RealSelf.com, PlasticSurgery.org or Surgery.org.

How much will it cost me to have a gynecomastia surgery?

Thanks for the question. When it comes to costs of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure (quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider… are some of the potential variables involved.
In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.
Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
 I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. I hope this, and the attached link, hopes. Best wishes.

How much will it cost for surgery?

The costs for gynecomastia surgery (removal of male breast tissue) can vary widely from region to region and also from surgeon to surgeon.  Factors such as whether or not simple excision alone (less expensive) will help versus needing to add liposuction (more expensive) and whether the tissue could be removed under local anesthesia only in the office (least expensive) or if you would need to proceed to the OR under general anesthesia (more expensive) all weigh into how much surgery will cost.  Your right chest appears larger than left which leads me to believe the surgery would be slightly more complicated on the right.  Unfortunately without an exam, I can't give you the best options.  My suggestion would be that you consult with several board certified plastic surgeons in your area so that you can compare options and pricing and chose the option that is best for you and the surgeon with whom you are most comfortable.  Best of luck!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon