Can you do ablative laser resurfacing after Sculptra?

I'm getting Sculptra now, but also need ablative laser resurfacing, especially around my mouth from smokers lines, sun damage and for orange peel texture. I can't do the laser yet because of schedule concerns and summer coming up, but I plan to have it in the late fall or Jan. of next year. I read somewhere where you can't do laser after you've had Sculptra. Is that true?

Sculptra and CO2 laser resurfacing

Sculptra and fractional CO2 laser resurfacing can absolutely be performed in conjunction with one another.  They both build collagen, but they do it in very different  tissue planes and in a very different manner, which makes them work quite beautifully together. 

I very commonly pair of these two treatments up and my patience.  I do tend to separate out the two treatments because of the type of anesthesia that I do for the CO2, but  occasionally I will perform them on the same day without issue. 

To ensure you are receiving the highest level of care, seek out a modernly trained, new-school dermatologic surgeon, oculoplastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon who is board certified and fellowship trained in one of these "core four" cosmetic specialties.

Cameron Chesnut
#realself500 Physician

Spokane Dermatologic Surgeon

YES, lasers can be used with Sculptra

Personally I would laser first, this would tighten your skin remove wrinkles and in some cases give very good collagen stimulation. Sculptra can then be placed in areas where you need a little more volume. You can do it the other way around as well, however I always give your body the chance to produce YOUR OWN collagen first, then augment it with fillers such as Sculptra, Juvederm or Restylane. Dr Davin Lim.
Brisbane, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

Laser Treatment Fine After Sculptra

You can absolutely have an ablative laser treatment after Sculptra injections. Laser treatments target tissue at a more superficial level than where a provider injects Sculptra. As you can see, there is some misinformation out there, so kudos to you for reaching out to specialists to get accurate information about your cosmetic services. Good luck with your treatments!

Otto Weiglein, FRCSC
Burlington Plastic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing after Sculptra

The simple answer is yes.  No problem going after fine lines, textures and skin concerns once you have achieved proper volume to your face.   Lasers go nowhere near the depth of placement of Sculptra and most fillers for that matter.  I agree with getting the volume to your face back before the resurfacing as volume will actually contribute to collagen building and appearance of the skin overlying the Sculptra areas.  We even refer to that as the 'Sculptra Glow'.  Best of luck in your journey!

Steven Swengel, MD
Los Gatos Dermatologic Surgeon

Laser resurfacing after Sculptra

It should not be a problem to do laser resurfacing after Sculptra but I would separate the treatments and not do them on the same day.  Sculptra is not meant for superficial placement and would be unlikely to be affected by the laser.  It's important to see an experienced doctor for your Sculptra injections to minimize the risk of side effects.  
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

The two can absolutely be done in conjunction, but because Sculptra should be massaged I just wouldn't do them on the same day. Your freshly lasered skin will likely be too tender and fragile to massage right away so just space them accordingly.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon