Restylane for malar bags?

Hello, It was recommened by a physician to have restyaline in my temporal area. As she said this will make my malar bags more lifted.First time I heard a solution that sounded practical. Just wondering what you think?

It can help as well as can make the problem more exagerated

THere are ways to repair the malar bags but the fillers sometimes make the malar bags even more pronounced since they attract water to the area. It should only b e injected away from the bags and in the higher cheek area to lift the cheek. 

Malar bags and Fillers

Malar bags are areas of fullness towards the side of the lower eyelid, at the junction with the cheek region. No one knows exacltly what causes them, but they arise from fluid accumulations along the orbital retaining ligament. Direct excision has been done with limited success. Liposuction has been attempted with little success. Lower eyelid procedures that tighten the muscle can help somewhat, but only to a limited degree. Midface fillers can be helpful in reducing but not eliminating them. Temporal injections, along with lateral orbital rim injections can further improve their appearance. It appears that you are on the right track for improvement.

Richard W. Westreich, MD
Manhattan Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for Malar Bags

Yes.  They work fantastic for the malar bags.  Depending upon the proximity to the eyes, either Restylane or Voluma can be used.  I like to use only Restylane in the tear trough region as it is the least hydrophylic.  Voluma is a good choice lower down where most of the time, the malar bags are coming from.
Make sure you see a double board certified Facial Plastic surgeon who is an experienced injector.
All the Best.

Roberto E. Garcia, MD, FACS
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, this can help greatly!

Restylane and other fillers in the temples make a huge difference, even if they aren't addressing malar 'bags'.  They can fill out the shape of the area and make a nicer contour of the area.  Interestingly, this is something that many individuals simply don't see in the mirror but can make a huge difference.  Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

Restylane in malar area and temples

I often inject Restylane or Voluma into the malar area to help the appearance of the bags.  Please make sure that this is an experienced injector for this technique.  I have had great results with this practice.  Best, Dr. Green

Restylane for the temples

Restylane injections are a great solution for restoring loss of volume in the face.  Injections carried out to the temple area can improve the overall shape of the face and soften the transition from forehead to cheek to create a more youthful appearance.  Correction of temporal hollows can cause a perceived lift in the lateral brow and may have a tightening effect on the lateral portion of the eyelid skin in a minor way; however, temporal injections generally have little effect on the mid /lower face.

Kyle Coleman, MD
New Orleans Dermatologic Surgeon