7 1/2 Weeks post op, spitting stitches? (Photos)

Is it unusual to continue to have spit in stitches? Is there anything that I should be concerned with? Is there a time frame in which the spitting stitches should stop? Last but not least, I want to thank everyone for answering my questions. It has been nice to be able to get other input.

Spitting sutures - how long will it last?

Thank you for asking about your surgery sutures.

• Sutures will continue to 'spit' if they are near the surface and your body won't absorb them.
  • So it depends on how many sutures there are
  • It have found that it is the suture knot that causes sutures to be rejected by the body because of the lumpiness
  • Since I started using barbed sutures, this has become much less common.
  • If you have future surgery, ask your surgeon if barbed sutures might be helpful for you.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

7 1/2 Weeks post op, spitting stitches?

Hello dear, thanksor your post and provided information as well! every patient is different and also each body, there is no a exact period after surgery that your stitches has to be spit, they can take a prolonged time to be out. If you have any concerns and you are scared about this situacion please contact your surgeon, he will give you the correcto answer. Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Thank you for sharing your question and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your continued suture spitting issues.  Though the sutures used are absorbable they can take a prolonged amount of time to fully dissolve which may cause some of them to be extruded by the skin, much like a splinter in the finger.  Hopefully you will not experience any further episodes but see your surgeon so that they can trim away the exposed stitch.  Hope this helps.

Suture abscesses

#MM tummy tucks and breastlifts are body contouring procedures, in which the repair is conducted, "under tension".  For this reason, most PS utilize multiple layers of absorbable (dissolving) sutures, in order to prevent scar dehiscence or widening.  Regrettably patients don't come with a "user's manual" on which sutures are most appropriate, so the choice of sutures is empirically determined (i.e. surgeon's custom and practice).  Each suture has different characteristics, which can produce fine lined, flat scars, however not infrequently may poke through the surface of the scar ("spit"), creating some discomfort, redness, blood and pus = "suture abscess". This doesn't mean you are "allergic" to the suture, merely that healing has occured to a sufficient extent that your body has "pushed" it out.  Be patient, notify your PS and realize that most sutures absorb within 6-9 months.

Lavinia K. Chong, MD

Suture extrusion (spitting sutures)

Great question.  Suture extrusion can occur for a number of different reasons.  Often the main reason is related to the size of the suture, the density of the suture, and how close to the skin it is placed.  Dissolvable sutures dissolve obviously so eventually the issue should correct itself.  I would find our from your plastic surgeon if the suture used is dissolvable or permanent.  From then, either conservative care or suture removal can be decided on if the suture used is permanent.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

7 1/2 Weeks Post-Op Stitches

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

Now, if you find that your stitches are spitting out fluid with which you are uncomfortable or that worries you it would be best to visit your surgeon to have the area examined. You would be able to get confirmation as to the appearance of an infection or whether the healing process is going well. Good luck.