When can I shave my hair or cut it? (Photo)

I had the proceder (FUE) 6 month ago, since that time, I didn't shave or cut my hair where I had the procedure. Shall I wait more? Thank you

At 6 months following a hair transplant

resume all normal hair styling and cutting procedures. You could have started this 2 weeks after the hair transplant. 

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Any time

Many doctors have difference of opinions in their post-op regimen but after 6 months, most will agree you can shave your head.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Haircuts after hair restoration surgery

No. You may cut or shave your new hair 3-4 weeks after your procedure. There is absolutely no problem to do so nor will it affect your hair growth because at this time your body has already securely accepted the implanted grafts. 

John Kahen, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

When can you shave after a transplant?

Shaving is not going to hurt your transplant.  Cutting the hair will not damage it either.  Following a transplant, the grafts become seated after 6 days.  By the 7th day a study done by Bob Bernstein, MD in New York showed that you cannot remove the graft.  Thus, but the 7th day you should be able to do almost anything that does not traumatize the follicles below the surface of the skin.  This includes excessive sun exposure.  Cutting hair affects only the surface of the hair and will not damage the follicle.  You can cut the hair now if you like.  After 6 months it is typical to see only 60% growth.  You still have more to go so you may not want to shave the area only because length helps to provide coverage.  However, shaving at 6 months should not be any problem at all.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Cutting Hair After A Hair Transplant

It is safe to cut the hair about one month after a hair transplant, however it would be a good idea not to razor shave until all the hairs grow, that takes about a year. Trimmers could safely be used one month after surgery.

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

When to shave after hair restoration surgery

Take it easy, you can do whatever you want to with hair 6 months after your surgery. See it is very simple, it is only the first couple of weeks that are delicate and at most the 1st month is like ‘be careful’. Now you already must have got 60-70% hair growth you should not worry but at the same time avoid extreme trauma of any nature. So i will still advise you to start with scissor trimming and waiting for another 3-6 months to start shaving regularly.

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon