What Am I Allowed to Do Directly After Arm Lift E.g. Cooking, Etc?

What exactly can one do on second day of OP with arm lift,eg cooking, cutting of vegetables etc? or may I not use the arms for a period of time? and how do I care for the woun ds? tomorrow is my op on arm also laser on face, neck, chest and hands.

Activity Levels Following Brachioplasty

Patients are eager to return to their normal activities as soon as possible following brachioplasty surgery. Unfortunately, resuming normal activity too soon after surgery can lead to an increased number of complications. For this reason, we recommend avoiding most activities that utilize the arms in the first week after surgery. After one week, we tell patients it's reasonable to start slowly resuming the use of their arms. It's important to avoid heavy lifting and strenuous activity for at least 6 to 8 weeks. When these steps are taken, patients have lower complication rates and better overall results.

It's important to realize that each patient's situation is unique. For this reason, post-operative care needs to be individualized. It's, therefore, important to discuss post-operative care with your surgeon. Your surgeon should be able to outline a post-operative care plan that is specific to your needs.

Post Arm Lift instruction

You should first ask your operating surgeon as each surgeon has different post-operative instructions.

Directly after your arm lift you should be resting and have very minimal activity that involves your arms. The first 7 days you will have your bandages on and should be giving your arms the proper time to heal.

As far as cooking goes, I would wait about 10-14 days. As far as exercise goes, you should wait about 4-6 weeks post operatively.

I have included a link below that may be of help to you. Best of luck.

Activities of daily living after arm lift

You haven't said what kind of arm lift you underwent, ie whether liposuction or brachioplasty. If you are having either plus layering of various areas, you will need to recuperate. Just as with any other operation, you should be taking it easy for the next 7-10 days. Ask your plastic surgeon about the postop regimen. He should also be providing you with postop wound care instructions. Best of luck.

This question should be addressed to the chosen operative surgeon! We do not know which type of brachioplasty you are having, your medical history, etc. Thus we can not advise via the internet. In my patient I request no use for 7 days at least or more. Best  of luck. 

Arm Lifting Surgery Recovery?

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery. Although probably best to address specific questions with your plastic surgeon, in general you will likely be out of commission  for most of the activities you have listed for at least 10 days. Your surgeon will  advise you regarding the specifics of activity and any  wound care that may be necessary.

Arm Use Following Brachioplasty

Arm motion should be minimal for the first several days after your brachioplasty or arm lift and you definitely should avoid any significant lifting.  The more things that you do to minimize swelling, the better result you will see.  I have my patients keep their arms wrapped carefully with Ace Wraps for 3-4 weeks to discourage this swelling.

John Whitt, MD (retired)