Botox and Restylane Results Affected by Alcohol?

3 months ago, I had Botox and Restylane (lips). I've had them many times before successfully. This time, though, I went out that same night and had a bunch of drinks. To my dismay...about 80% of the effects disappeared!! No Dr. ever told me not to drink. I was very upset that I wasted my money! Have you had this happen to your patients? 

Alcohol and Botox | Does it affect the results?

Alcohol should have no effect on the result or duration of effect after botox treatment. You were likely under-treated.

Newport Beach Oculoplastic Surgeon

Alcohol should not affect Botox or Restylane

Neither Botox nor Restylane results should be affected by alcohol consumption. We do recommend that patients not drink prior to injections, as it may increase the chances of bruising, but it should have no effect on actual results. You may have been a bit undertreated and require more of both agents to achieve prolonged results. I suggest you return to your provider to discuss your results. Reviewing your pre-filler photos may also be helpful because we often forget what we looked like before treatment!

Kimberly Butterwick, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Alcohol after Botox and Fillers

Alcohol should not cause the product to not work as well or as long.  It could predispose you to bruising.  I would return to your doctor and discuss these issues.

Sean Paul, MD
Austin Oculoplastic Surgeon

Drinking and Botox/Fillers

I would not recommend that you drink right after an injectable procedure as it will increase your chance of bruising and swelling.  Having said that, I don't think it would effect the duration or efficacy of your result.

Alcohol

This is unusual and I haven't heard this happen before and there is no scientific evidence supporting this. The fact that it made your results "disappear" is strange. I suggest you return to your injector to talk about this.

Not affected by alcohol

Alcohol doesn't affect the benefits of Botox and Restylane. It may contribute to bruising, but not make your results disappear. It's very strange that you experienced this. Please see your injector for an assessment.

Botox Result Most Likely Unrelated to Alcohol

It's unfortunate that you're unhappy with the results of your recent botox and Restylane injections. Although your injections occurred following significant alcohol consumption, your poor result probably isn't related to this event.  Alcohol has no effect on either botox or juvéderm. For this reason other explanations are probably more likely.

It's important that you contact your injector as soon as possible. This provider will hopefully determine why your injections didn't work and correct your aesthetic concerns.

Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and alcohol

Although alcohol may cause fluid retention and may increasing bleeding tendencies (potential for addiional bruising), there are no studies suggesting any interaction or diminished Botullinum Toxin (Dysport and Botox) and Restylane effects.

Alcohol and fillers and Botox

There are no studies that suggest any effects of alcohol on the "take" of Botox or fillers. 

Botox and Restylane results affected by alcohol

Again there is NO medical studies showing that alcohol effects the treatments of Botox or fillers in any way. Maybe you were still hung over and swollen (alcohol causes fluid retention) when you looked at yourself.

From MIAMI Dr. B