Botox Wears off in One Month, Should I Try Dysport?

ive been injected by botox type 3 time already, but in less than 1 month my forehead lines are back, what do i do, which brand shall i choose now that will last the said period of 3-4months?

Try Dysport

Although both Dysport and Botox are Botulinum Type A, sometimes Dysport will work where Botox seems to be flagging in strength. Thus it would be a good idea to switch and see what happens. It is said, though not documented in a study that Dysport lasts a month or so longer.

Rarely, you can develop antibodies and therefore Botox will lose its potency. You might also ask whether your physician had gone on vacation and used "old" Botox. Similarly it is not a bad idea to ask to examine  the bottle, and check the hologram to ensure that the Botox was not obtained from China, Europe or elsewhere. And, of course, maybe your physician was having a bad day and his/her technique was off.

Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Botox wearing off quickly

Thank you for your question and concern. I train a lot of injectors in the proper technique for Botox injections. Here are some of the common reasons that Botox wears off too quickly:
1) Inadequate dose - higher doses usually corrects the problem
2) Cookie cutter approach to injecting Botox. The same technique is used for every patient and it works for most, but not all patients. The cookie cutter approach fails to appreciate the differences in anatomy of the facial muscles that can vary by the individual.
3) Rarely, there are patients who truly have shorter durations with Botox and may want to consider the different neuromodulators available to see if there is a difference.

I would recommend that you go an experienced board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist who does a high volume of injectables to discuss your experience in more detail.

BOTOX should not wear off in one month

BOTOX should not wear off in one month. You may not be getting the right dosage. Be sure to choose a physician who is experienced in BOTOX. According to the FDA insert, Dysport lasts for a similar amount of time as BOTOX. However, some patients do report that their results have lasted longer with Dysport and are happier with this alternative toxin. Dysport is always worth trying.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

My Botox only lasts one month!

If your Botox is working when initially injected and then ceases to work after one month, you should probably look for another injector.  Either you are not getting real Botox or you are getting too much solution (saline solution that Botox is mixed with) and not enough actual Botox itself.  In either case, you may want to search for another injector.  Good luck.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Dysport can help!

Botox should last 3-4 months if diluted properly and administered properly.  Most patients who are not satisfied with Botox usually need more units injected.  I have had some patients who have had Botox for a long time and are not getting the same results after many years of treatment.  In these patients dysport has worked great.

Marisa Lawrence, MD

Botox lasting 1 month = You are getting Dilute, Watered Down Botox

When fresh, non-dilute, genuine (not fake or gray market) Botox is administered by a Plastic surgeons who knows what he is doing, the effect lasts 3-6 months. It is unheard of for Botox to last 1 month.

Every time I saw patoents with the repeated complaint :"Botox does not work on me...", they were  getting their "Botox" from a bargain injector, probably not even an MD, much less a Plastic Surgeon who injected them with either dilute, old, gray market or fake Botox with predictable ineffective consequences.

To read THE Most Comprehensive page on BOTOX on the Internet, go to the link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Botox not lasting long

Your best bet is first to discuss this with your dermatologist. It Is more likely an issue of not enough product injected. If this is the case, it is unlikely that treatment with Dysport will yield better results. Good luck!

Ritu Saini, MD

Botox longevity

You need to ask your doctor/injector, how many units did he/she use.

My guess is that too few units were used, hence the short -lived result.

Khaled El-Hoshy, MD
Detroit Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox not lasting long in forehead

your problem of short acting botox may be a result of not enough units of botox from a conservative physician. It might be worth a visit to a different board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Try Dysport if Botox Doesn't Work

First,  I would suggest taking with the doctor who performed your injections and make sure that you got an adequate initial injection. For the forehead, I would suggest at least 10 units and more preferably 20 units. If this is the case, then consider Dysport. I have had great success and some patients have noted that Dysport has lasted longer than Botox for them.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon