Does wearing a hat after hair trasnplant affects the hair?

I've had the surgery about a year ago and a month post up surgery I started to wear hats to school and work, beanies, snapbacks, they weren't tight, i wore them loose or how to say not tight. So far im not very pleased with the results and i've been thinking was it because of the hats or missing any vitamins or something. P.s. I had FUE method.

Wearing a hat after hair transplant surgery

I actually give my patients a hat for use after the surgery, but most people abandon it in a few days or so. Below in the web reference is an example of a patient of ours just 5 days after a hair transplant. He went to work the very next day.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hats and results

Should not affect your results after a few weeks.  Hair transplants do not always produce 100% results as they are a medical procedure and nothing in medicine is 100%. You can always get more hair grafts but you have to understand the risks/benefits and possible outcomes. 

Rashid M. Rashid, PhD, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Wearing a hat after hair transplantation surgery #plasticsurgery

We provide a hat for our hair transplant patients to wear immediately after surgery - mostly to cover the 'donor site' in the back of the head. Within a few days, the hairs in this region have grown and the hat is not necessary. The recipient area, where the hair follicles are placed, should be treated gently for the first couple of days, but wearing a hat should not cause any issues, assuming its not tight.

Is it ok to wear a cap after hair transplant

It is ok to wear a hat after hair transplant, as it will not effect the outcome.  You just need to make sure that it is clean and it is not too tight. 

Michael Meshkin, MD
Newport Beach Hair Restoration Surgeon

No

Hats do not affect the outcome of surgery.  Many fire fighters, construction workers, pilots, motorcycle riders who wear helmets have great results.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Wearing a hat after FUE

Wearing a hat will not affect hair growth after FUE as long as the hat is loose fitting to avoid popping of the grafts. I normally recommend that my patients wear a fedora because this type of hat is supported by the forehead and lower back of the head thus avoiding contact to the grafts. If it hat is worn, be sure it is clean to keep the scalp from any bacteria that may cause infection. 

John Kahen, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon

Wearing Hat after Transplant is safe

See wearing a cap post one month of the surgery should not have caused you any problem. Further transplant result is not affected much by any vitamins or shampoos, though they may help existing hair and give an overall better effect. it is only the first 2 weeks that are critical & first 2 days extremely critical.

Further there could be substantial difference in your being pleased by the outcome and surgeon's definition of success. The success should be seen by how many transplanted grafts that came back, if you see majority growing back, the procedure was a success. We recommend patients to undergo multiple sittings if they are looking at a very high density. 

So relax, see your surgeon again for the opinion!!

Kapil Dua, MBBS, MS
India Hair Restoration Surgeon

When can you wear a hat after a hair transplant?

You can wear a hat the day of the transplant if you like.  I would not wear a beanie.  I would use a regular hat that does not touch or move the grafts.  A loose fitting bandana or scarf will work too.  After the 6th day, you can generally wear any type of hat you like.  There are two things you are trying to prevent after a transplant.  One is to physically remove the graft.  The second is to move the graft because the circulation to the graft is reestablishing.  Once the graft is seated, you cannot remove it.  Most recommend 10 days, but one study showed that after the 6th day, grafts cannot be removed.  Good luck.  One month after surgery should not have created any negative consequences.  

John P. Cole, MD
Atlanta Hair Restoration Surgeon

Does Wearing A Hat After A Hair Transplant Effect The Result?

Loose hats that don't touch the transplanted area can even be used immediately after surgery, although the first week, especially the first two days are very critical to protect the transplanted grafts against external damage. After a week or two wearing a hat can not have any effect on the result. Special hats like motorcycle helmets should be avoided for about a month as they put significant pressure and cause friction on the scalp.

Hair transplants are very delicate procedures and any small mistake during surgery may lead to a poor yield. Or we can phrase it the other way round; a poor result after a hair transplant is most probably caused by a technical mistake during the procedure. What distinguishes the expert surgeon form the others is the small percentage of poor results he/she gets over thousands of procedures.

Supplements, vitamins, creams and shampoos have very little or no effect on a hair transplant. Once the procedure is done one can not change the destined result either way by using or not using these things. The only exception is finasteride and minoxidil which although do not directly effect the result of a HT, but may improve the final result by improving the condition of the existing hair while protecting them against hair loss. 

Ali Emre Karadeniz, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Wearing a hat post transplant - is it a problem?

In general, wearing a hat after the first 4 weeks has no effect whatsoever on the outcome

During the first two weeks, one must be careful not to damage the grafts when putting on the hat and taking on the hat. But in general, that is safe too when done properly. The first 7-10 days is really the only time when particular caution needs to be given