Left side of face stretched and lost fat? (Photo)

The left side of my face has lost weight and shows a significant laugh line. The skin on this side feels extremely loose even on my ear and neck. I'm only 23, it's so embarrassing to look at and the feeling is weird. What could be the reason for this?

Volume loss

Volume loss in the face doesn't really start until your early thirties.  Filler like Juvederm is a nice treatment to restore volume and improve symmetry.  

Lost volume on the face

It is not uncommon that when we loose weight we lose volume in our face, making it appear to look “saggy.” The reason for that is due to the loss of fat within the facial fat pads, which hold up our skin, making the face appear more voluptuous and youthful. It is also common to have natural asymmetry in every individual face. One side of the face may appear more/less full due to variables such as which side you sleep on. Regardless, volume can be restored with the use of dermal fillers such as Juvederm Voluma. I would suggest using this product in both of your cheeks to restore volume, decrease those “laugh lines” (aka nasolabial folds), and decrease the appearance of sagging skin.

Justin Harper, MD
Columbus Physician

Facial asymmetry

The two sides of the face are commonly asymmetric. When there is a mid-face asymmetry, it can be improved using a filler such as Voluma, Restylane Lyft, Radiesse, or Sculptra. I recommend you see an experienced injector for an in-person evaluation. 

Facial Sculpting Using Fillers Like Voluma, Radiesse, Lyft, Juvederm and Sculptra and Fat

Fat loss can be treated with fat, fillers, implants or sculptra. Please see an expert for treatment options.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Left side of face stretched and lost fat?

Thank you for your question and for sharing your photograph.  At 23 any skin changes are unlikely due to fat loss and rather more environmental in nature - lack of sleep, poor hydration, sun damage, etc.  I would recommend seeing an ASPS board certified plastic surgeon in consultation to discuss your concerns in the hopes of identifying a treatable issue.  Hope this helps.

Facial asymmetry

Most faces have a small side and a larger side. It appears that you have asymmetry, but probably not due to fat loss. I think that it is subtle, but if you want correction, fillers can be done. I'm not sure how happy you will be because improvement is all you are going to get, not exactly the same on both sides.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Left side of the face stretched and lost fat.

Hi nikkievans24! 

People begin to lose volume on their face as they age due to changes in elasticity, collagen and fat pads. You are at an age where this should not be happening in most people. If you have lost a significant amount of weight you will see it in your face. Also, sun damage  will start to change your skin texture. Further, medical conditions can also be a cause of changes in the skin. I would suggest that you discuss this with your primary care physician first and begin a good skin care regimen of cleansing, moisturizing followed by regular sunscreen use. The sunscreen should have zinc and titanium. If you do not have any other reasons for this loss of volume then I would consider a product like Juvederm.