Is a diagonal wrinkle from eyebrow to hairline normal after botox? (Photos)

I am a 34 yrs old and had botox for the first time this week. I am at day 6. 31 unit total were injected in my forehead horizontal lines, glabelle and nose. Than at day 3 I woke up with this weird deformation in the forehead. On the right side there is this big vertical fold. I The doctor's assistant told me not to worry, it was just something that Can happen and that it Will quickly go away Is this supposed to happen? Will it go away? I feel awful I wanted to love Botox :-(

New lines after botox

Since Botox takes about 7-10 days to fully set in, I would wait that full time to see if the lines improve. After that time, if you are still experiencing the lines then I would contact your dermatologist for a touch-up.

Columbus Physician

Post- Botox forehead appearance

I agree fully with what the other doctors have written but would add that you also have what we call (at least in my area) the "flag sign". That's a name for the rippled look near your hairline. We call it flag sign because it looks like "fingers up saluting the (US) flag" or as a military salute in general.If this does not settle down I suggest you also speak with your injector about doing some additional units, even just 5 or so, into the upper forehead to calm this down and give a more natural look. 

Lisa Vuich, MD

Lisa Vuich, MD
Nashua Physician

More Botox Please!

Have your injector place more Botox to the muscle under your hairline and to the diagonal wrinkle. Both are under treated frontalis muscle injections. God Luck!

Michael A. Burnstine, MD

New line after Botox

This is not that unusual. when the muscles causing the frown and the forehead lines are weakened other muscles try to take over. this is called recruitment like what happens after a stroke.  It is temporary and should straighten out in about a week but if it does not then the area next to the new line can be injected

Melvin Elson, MD
Nashville Dermatologist

Furrow after Botox

Dear Karen737800:You are experiencing recruitment due to overactive musculature trying to compensate for relaxation of the surrounding muscles. This may smooth over within a week, but if not, your injector can examine you and determine which muscles exactly are involved and inject a tiny amount of #Botox to relax them. This is more likely to happen with the first treatment and with your next treatment a pattern can be chosen to avoid this from happening again.All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Botox issues in forehead lines

Your results are likely the results of the Botox but you should wait for a full 2 weeks for the Botox to "settle". In my experience, Botox results are dependent on the person who does the injections. I would recommend that you choose a physician who has experience and a reputation for performing well.

Pamela Stuart, MD
San Jose Physician

Botox results

Sorry to hear about your Botox results. This is almost certainly related to the Botox injection. I would, however, wait the full 14 days to allow the Botox to settle in. At that point, you might need additional Botox units, for which I would followup with an experienced injector. Good luck.

Botox takes 2 weeks to settle

It typically will take a full two weeks for botox to fully settle.  If after two weeks the pull is still there see your injector for a touch up.  

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Botox results

Thank you for your question karen737800. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expressions such as those on the forehead. Most people see the results of their treatment in 3-7 days after the treatment but it could take up to 2 weeks for full results. In our office we have our patients return two weeks after their treatment to take after photographs and assess the results. At that point additional units may be added if necessary. Please follow up with your doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Alex Eshaghian, MD, PhD
Encino Physician