Can I have sex after tummy tuck?

I just started with this site and I love it. But my question is how long after having a tummy tuck with muscle repair and lipo can u have sex? I ask because after seeing the ladies stomachs the stitches the swelling and drains it's just like damn don't do anything for a year. How long does it take for your insides to heal? And what positions would be okay to do after having the work done? I hope these aren't stupid questions but I just had to ask.

Sex After A Tummy Tuck

This is a very good and very practical question but not very often discussed.
The answer depends on an understanding of what happens during healing and what happens during "sex". 
First, there is the discomfort from the surgery that needs to be addressed. There is pain with this procedure which slowly and eventually gets better and goes away. So you will need to consider how much pain you are experiencing with certain activities.
Second is the healing. When you have a tummy tuck and if the muscles are repaired it takes time before the muscles can withstand certain stresses. Even though there are stitches holding the muscles together they can break or tear through and cause the muscles to partially or completely separate, ruining the muscle repair. It take at least 6 weeks for the scar tissue and the stitches, working together, to be strong enough to withstand reasonable stresses.
Finally, what is "sex". Assuming that we are talking about traditional vaginal intercourse there are a variety of positions that can be considered. You would first need to try to determine which position(s) are the most comfortable and the least stressful on the abdominal muscles. That is probably a very individualized determination. You also need to consider the intensity of the sex. I explain to my patients that sexual intercourse is like riding a bike. The intensity could vary anywhere from the level of a stationary bike all the way up to downhill mountain biking. The point is sexual intercourse can quickly become a very uncontrolled activity. 
So, if you want to be absolutely safe, wait 6 weeks. If you think you can control the situation I tell my patients that they can have sex when they feel comfortable enough.
I hope this explanation helps.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Sex after Tummy Tuck

Becoming intimate after abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is highly variable and depends on each individual. It depends on how active you are and how long it takes your pain to comfortably subside. You should not do any abdominal exercises for 10 weeks but sex is generally acceptable after at least 3-4 weeks as long as you are gentle. Having sex before 3-4 weeks can put you more at risk for complications so it is best to be careful. Be sure to follow up with your plastic surgeon to see what their specific recommendations are as well.

Sex after tummy tuck. Yes!

I read all the answers that preceded mine, and I like Dr. Stratis' answer a lot. I agree with most of what my colleagues have said, but I tend not to put a time limitation on sexual activity. Particularly as there is "sex" and there is "SEX!!!"

The practical answer relates to allowing healing to occur so that any activity (including sex) does not damage the healing up to that point, or cause bleeding or tearing of the muscle repair, for example.

I tell my patients that I don't want them to raise their blood pressure or pulse for two weeks after surgery (so that certainly leaves many kinds of sexual activity out of the question). Between week 2 and 4 more aerobic activities and mild toning type activities are allowed to gradually increase, and (for tummy tucks) no sit-ups or crunches for 6 weeks. All this assumes normal healing without any complication or wound delays.

Thus, trapeze sex would be out for 6 weeks, but gentle passive intercourse would be allowed when it is comfortable. That is different for each patient (and each partner). Another way I put it to patients is that they determine the WHEN of sexual activity, but I determine the WHAT or the HOW. If a patient cannot lay on her belly at a certain point after tummy tuck (or breast surgery, or liposuction, etc.), then her partner cannot lay on her belly, especially if he is larger than her. And the like.

Certainly, if sex involves major body contortions, mind-blowing and blood-pressure-elevating orgasms, or uncontrollable muscle contractions (right along with the skyrockets in flight), then restraint and delay is in order. But I feel really bad for the couples who come in for her 3-month recheck and he's gently nudging her "Ask him, ask him!" It's obvious someone has been telling a bit of a white lie, since I would not ask any patient to refrain from sex for 3 months!

Ask your surgeon. This is important. We've all been asked about it many times. Most of us have a tension-defusing way of answering, so don't be embarrassed. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can I have sex after tummy tuck?

Absolutely you can have sex after a tummy tuck.  Most patients in my practice are advised to wait about 3-4 weeks before resuming sexual activities.  Most incisions are well healed by this time.  Post operative pain should be significantly diminished by then.  It really depends on when the patient feels physically and emotionally ready.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Can I have sex after tummy tuck?

Most patients are comfortable resuming sexual activity after 3 - 6 weeks, it varies with the individual. Early on it is more comfortable for the patient if her knees ar bent and her hips are flexed to take the stretch off the abdomen.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Sex after a tummy tuck

it varies from patient to patient and doctor to doctor. When comfortable for you, then usually you may start. I would say at least a month, possibly longer, possibly shorter, all dependent on the repair and your tissues. I would discuss this with the surgeon you pick

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Sex after tummy tuck -How soon?

Thanks for the question.It all depends how is the healing going on with you.If the healing of the suture line is good and you are out of the discomforts I normally allow all normal physical actives in life, including sex in 3 to 4 weeks after surgery with or without muscle repair.However each PS has own views just talk to him.

Intercourse after TummyTuck

Thank you for your question. It is important to realize that the amount of time it takes for recovery varies greatly among individuals. Depending on the extent of your abdominoplasty and your general physical condition. Any sexual activity should be avoided for a minimum of two weeks.Dhaval M. Patel Double board certifiedPlastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Sex after tummy tuck

It would be about a month after surgery before sex would be safe. Start off slowly and be careful not to damage the treated area. Your scars will be prominent and swelling will still make you look larger than you should but having sex at that time would not compromise your recovery if you do it gently. 

After 6 months to a year, you should be fully recovered and be able to resume normal sexual activities without restrictions.

Ronald Levine, MD

Sex after surgery

This largely depends on how extensive your procedure was. Always best to check with your plastic surgeon for the best advice. I generally allow most of my tt patients to have sex after six weeks with the woman in the top position so she is in control to make it less likely for an injury to occur.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS