How Soon After Surgery Can I Start Using Silicone Scar Sheets?

I am 25 days post TT and BA I have a few scabs on my incision still. But I am healing very well. How soon can I use my Rejuveness silicone sheeting on my scars?

3 weeks...

When patients undergo cosmetic surgery, they’re often concerned about scarring.A variety of treatment options have been developed to minimize adverse wound healing following these procedures.
The use of silicone sheets has recently become popular for treating post-operative scars.This material is typically applied to surgical wounds three weeks after surgery.This allows adequate time for small areas of breakdown to heal and wound edges to seal.Treatment lasts for variable periods of time but, in most cases, the duration is about three months.
This maneuver is associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.At this point in time, it’s reasonable to use silicone sheets as long as all your wounds are completely sealed.

Silicone scar sheets

I usually start my mommy makeover patients on scars treatments starting three weeks following surgery.

David Stoker, MD

Silicone sheets?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. I typically allow after 4-6 weeks postop and once fully healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Lasers may also be an option for the appearance of your scars. If still no result, consideration for lasers, steroids, or scar revision may be entertained. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

About 3 weeks to a month

Once the incisions have closed completely and the scabs are gone you can start using the sheeting. This should take about three to four weeks. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Timing of use of silicone scar strips 1 month post-op following tummy tuck

I have my patients begin using the strips as soon as all of the crusts and scabs have fallen off of the scars on their own.  This usually takes about 2 weeks or so.  There is no great rush to use them, as you will likely be using them for the next 3 to 4 months at least.  Wearing them too soon can cause accumulation of moisture beneath the strips, and if there is any opening of the epidermis, this could lead to infection.  Good luck.

Scar Management Post Mommy Makeover Op

Your #healing will continue for 2-3 months following the procedure(s) as the #scars will be evolving. If my patients have concerns that something is unusual about their healing process, it is important for them to call the office and discuss these concerns or come in to be examined. Also some severe scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery.

Soon

Check with your surgeon but usually you can start silicone gel sheeting within the first month after surgery. You probably should not be using them 24 hours a day but check with your surgeon. 

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Scar Care After Surgery in Melbourne, Florida

Regarding scar care after surgery, recommendations for this typically vary considerably between plastic surgeons. I generally like to see my patients very well healed before applying any type of lotions, potions, ointments, or treatments; therefore, I typically wait until at least six weeks. Many patients, in fact, do not need any of these treatments and it can increase their risk of having a skin or allergic reaction from the treatment in itself, and therefore, it is helpful sometimes to wait and see if the patient is simply healing well enough on their own not to need any treatment. I have found that scar massage can be very beneficial if the scar starts to thicken. Be sure and discuss this with your surgeon for your individual recommendations. Best wishes to you!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Scar care after tummy tuck

Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids or lasers also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Those are used if scar is thick or dark, but not to reduce the wideness of the scar, which is the main problem. Massage also does not help keep the scar thin, and can actually worsen the scar in the first 12 weeks because you are actually adding tension to the scar. Massage is for softening a hard or thick scar, but if used early, will hasten the scar widening. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Silicone sheeting for scars

I do not think every patient needs silicone sheeting or silicone gel.   I always recommend that they wait at least 4 weeks prior to beginning therapy, and continue it for 6 months to achieve an optimal result.     

Equally important is scar massage and minimizing excessive tension on the scar during the early postoperative period.

Paul S. Gill, MD