How Soon After Surgery Can I Start Using Silicone Scar Sheets?

I am 25 days post TT and BA I have a few scabs on my incision still. But I am healing very well. How soon can I use my Rejuveness silicone sheeting on my scars?

3 weeks...

When patients undergo cosmetic surgery, they’re often concerned about scarring.A variety of treatment options have been developed to minimize adverse wound healing following these procedures.
The use of silicone sheets has recently become popular for treating post-operative scars.This material is typically applied to surgical wounds three weeks after surgery.This allows adequate time for small areas of breakdown to heal and wound edges to seal.Treatment lasts for variable periods of time but, in most cases, the duration is about three months.
This maneuver is associated with excellent clinical results and high levels of patient satisfaction.At this point in time, it’s reasonable to use silicone sheets as long as all your wounds are completely sealed.

Silicone scar sheets

I usually start my mommy makeover patients on scars treatments starting three weeks following surgery.

David Stoker, MD

Silicone sheets?

Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. I typically allow after 4-6 weeks postop and once fully healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself. Lasers may also be an option for the appearance of your scars. If still no result, consideration for lasers, steroids, or scar revision may be entertained. Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

About 3 weeks to a month

Once the incisions have closed completely and the scabs are gone you can start using the sheeting. This should take about three to four weeks. 

Ronald Levine, MD

Timing of use of silicone scar strips 1 month post-op following tummy tuck

I have my patients begin using the strips as soon as all of the crusts and scabs have fallen off of the scars on their own.  This usually takes about 2 weeks or so.  There is no great rush to use them, as you will likely be using them for the next 3 to 4 months at least.  Wearing them too soon can cause accumulation of moisture beneath the strips, and if there is any opening of the epidermis, this could lead to infection.  Good luck.

Check with your surgeon but usually you can start silicone gel sheeting within the first month after surgery. You probably should not be using them 24 hours a day but check with your surgeon. 

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Scar Care After Surgery in Melbourne, Florida

Regarding scar care after surgery, recommendations for this typically vary considerably between plastic surgeons. I generally like to see my patients very well healed before applying any type of lotions, potions, ointments, or treatments; therefore, I typically wait until at least six weeks. Many patients, in fact, do not need any of these treatments and it can increase their risk of having a skin or allergic reaction from the treatment in itself, and therefore, it is helpful sometimes to wait and see if the patient is simply healing well enough on their own not to need any treatment. I have found that scar massage can be very beneficial if the scar starts to thicken. Be sure and discuss this with your surgeon for your individual recommendations. Best wishes to you!

Amy Ortega, MD
Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Silicone sheeting for scars

I do not think every patient needs silicone sheeting or silicone gel.   I always recommend that they wait at least 4 weeks prior to beginning therapy, and continue it for 6 months to achieve an optimal result.     

Equally important is scar massage and minimizing excessive tension on the scar during the early postoperative period.

Paul S. Gill, MD

When can I use silicone sheets

Thank you for your question. Silicone sheets are one of the most effective treatments for scars. It is thought that this may be caused by the electromagnetivity within the silicone that positively effects the scar.  For this to be effective, it needs to be worn 24 hours a day for at least 8 weeks.

While every surgeon has their own methods, I advise my patients to wait for the steristrips to fall off prior to using the silicone. This usually takes 3 weeks or so. It is also best if the incision has sealed and there are no longer any scabs. I would adivse asking your surgeon when you can start using them for a definitive answer.

Best of luck with your continued recovery.

Jeff Rockmore

Silicone sheets improve scars after surgery

You can start using silicone sheets on your scars as soon as your incisions are completely healed. We want there to be no open spots or scabs before you start using the sheets. This usually means waiting 2 or 3 weeks after your operation. Always check with your doctor before starting silicone sheets. Once you start using them, you should probably use the sheets for 4 to 8 months in order achieve an optimum result.