Why Can't You Lie Down After Botox?

Why after do botox it can not lie down?

This is old and incorrect advice from the early days of Botox use

This is old and incorrect advice from the early days of Botox use. I was involved in some of the early research and used to give this instruction to all my patients. Experience, however, has shown that lying down is fine, as long as you do not have any bruising.

Metairie Dermatologic Surgeon

Don't lie on your stomach for 4 hours after your Botox Cosmetic Treatment.

If you were to lie on your stomach with your face resting on your arm or pillow, you could shift the Botox into an undesireable location. There is no problem after 4 hours, and you could lie on your back if you like.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Not sure if this is true or not

The theory is that lying down might increase the risk of diffusion. This has never been proven, but none of us who inject a lot want to risk it, so the recommendation has become sort of an "urban myth".

Mary P. Lupo, MD
New Orleans Dermatologist

Why Can't You Lie Down After Botox?

I think that in the present age of Botox the only prohibited action is rubbing the areas of injection.  This would cause the Botox to spread to other areas of the face.

Thomas Guillot, MD
Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Laying flat after botox

While there may be no direct evidence that botox is affected by the position of your body, it would be prudent to not press on those areas for at least several hours while the botox diffuses throughout the muscle that it was injected. If the diffusion of the product is too far from the intended site, you can end up with side effects like a droopy eyelid. I hope this information helps.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox and lying down

Every patients I see asks me about this, but I think this is a fallacy. More importantly you should limit your exertional acitivity for a few hours after the injection to limit diffusion and unwanted bruising.

Can one lie down after Botox

Ever since Botox was discussed at conferences for cosmetic use, it was theorized that bending over or lying flat might make the Botox shift via gravity to other areas that we don't want to get affected. This has not been proven, nor studied as far as I'm aware. Most physicians tell their patients this recommendation to "play it safe" and mention from one to four hours as the guideline to follow the "rule."

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

To lie or not to lie (down) after Botox: what's the deal?

There are a few reasons why this is advised but it is generally considered a "soft" recommendation. When you lay down the veins in your head and neck become engorged and cause more swelling which can effect diffusion of th Botox. In addition this may result in greater bruising soon after injection.

Wait 3 Hours After Botox Before Laying Down; Wait 45 Minutes After Eating Before Swimming

We ask that patients refrain from lying down (or hanging from anti-gravity boots) for about 3 hours after having Botox injections.  The reason is to minimize movement of Botox into the eyelid elevator muscles.  It is thought that remaining upright decreases the chances of eyelid weakness (ptosis) after the injections.  I am not aware of any comparative studies, so this may just be another "old wife's tale" like not swimming for 45 minutes after eating. 

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Why Can't You Lie Down After Botox?

You should not massage or lie down after Botox. Massaging or lying down may cause the Botox to spread to other areas of the face.

Hardik Soni, MD
Summit Emergency Medicine Physician