What to expect after chin reduction?

I had chin reduction 2 days ago by incision under chin then shaving of the bone. I am unable to smile evenly or talk properly as half my mouth wont move properly. Is this to be expected?

Initial healing from chin reduction

It is very common during the initial phases of chin surgery recovery to experience asymmetry or weakness in the nearby muscles and/or numbness. This is often due to associated swelling. It may also reflect an injury to nerves but these are almost always temporary. Keep a positive attitude and follow up regularly with your surgeon to ensure all is well. Good luck!

Washington DC Otolaryngologist

Chin Surgery

Thank you for your question.  If you are only 2 days post op, what you describe is normal.  You will regain proper feeling and function slowly over the next few weeks.  With chin augmentation and reduction you can experience a crooked smile/numbness/funny speech etc. for up to 12 weeks post op.  Good luck with your recovery.

Jeffrey Nelson, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon