Adding Volume to Inner Corners of Eyelids?

How can I get the volume back in the inner corners of my upper eyelids?

Doctor Answers 4

Very difficult to achieve

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Dear Thenoseknows

The best method of getting out of trouble is staying out of trouble. In eyelid surgery this means preserving eyelid folds, and natural fullness. One can always have a little more surgery if it is desirable.

Regarding your situation, replacing fat into the upper eyelid post surgical hollows is very easy to describe but achieve a result that is functionally and aesthetically acceptable is very difficult to the point of being improbable.

More achievable alternatives include placing fat or filler in the brow and subbrow tissues. This fills up the fold and can help hide the hollows.

Because of the vascularity of this area, the subbrow area should only be treated by those with surgical expertise of this area. Don't get this type of treatment in a medispa.

Dr. Steinsapir

Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Fat grafting

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

In Plastic surgery, one of the key principles is to replace lost tissue with the same kind of tissue, or as close to it as possible.

Since you had a blepharoplasty, I assume fat was taken out. It follows the best solution is fat replacement.

Luckily for you, fat grafting techniques have been refined to a level of high reliability when using fine cannula techniques.

For upper and lower eyelid cases there is a wonderful 18 gage blunt cannula which can achieve very subtle results.

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 97 reviews

Consider an injectable filler for hollow upper eyelids following surgery.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The only options for replacing volume in the upper eyelids following aggressive blepharoplasty are: fat grafting or injectable fillers.

I've used injectable fillers for this condition with good (not great) results. Fat grafting in the right hands is another option that would have greater cost and downtime.

Feel free to post / email me a full facial photo, and I could give more specific advice.

Best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 432 reviews

Open composite fat grafting is best method to restore volume to the upper eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

An open fat graft placed through your previous blepharoplasty incision can be done to restore fullness to your upper eyelids after blepharoplasty has removed too much fat from the upper lid.

My personal opinion is that a composite (whole) fat graft will survive better and give you a better result than fat injection. I would also recommend that you avoid injectible fillers like Restylane, Juvederm, Pearlane, Evolence, Radiesse and others in this area.

My opinion is that blind needle injections in this area are risky.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.