Under Chin Vs Behind the Ears Incision for Chin Liposuction?

Why do some doctors only cut a single incision under the chin and others cut two incisions by each ear? I presume more fat can be reached with 2 incisions but does the single incision limit the doctor that much more?

Incisions for Chin Liposuction

Here is the reason why some doctors only make a single incision under the chin and others use  two additional incisions by each ear ( I make mine in the ear lobe crease). It  depends on the fat distribution and to some extent the skill of the surgeon. For a small amount of fat just below the chin a single incision is adequate. However for a full neck fat that extends significantly beyond the center the best results are usually obtained with having access behind the ears.

Incisions for Chin Liposuction?

Incisions used for chin liposuction are generally placed below the chin and/or below the ear lobes. Using more than one incision allows for a “cross feathering” technique improving chances of achieving smooth contour. These incisions should be kept as small as possible (1-2 mm).  I prefer to close all incision lines because I think this “closed technique” allows for better scars.

Chin liposuction incisions

Liposuction incisions can vary depending on your anatomy and the surgeon's preference.  I prefer using more incisions if I think that I can better address the contour and fat.  This is because it is often easier to reach the fatty tissue from a more remote area and attack it from different directions than placing an incision right in the middle of the area to be treated.  The incisions are small and heal up so well that it is worth the tradeoff for better contour and more complete fat removal.

Chin Liposuction Incision behind ears is used when the sides of the neck and jaw have fat or loose skin

If you only have a double chin or fat in the middle of your neck below the chin, then liposuction can be done through a tiny stab wound in the crease directly beneath your chin.

In patients who have excess fat along the sides of the neck under the jaw, then a small stab wound is made beneath the ear lobule so that the laser or cannula can reach the lateral or side portions of the neck.

In addition, for some patients who have jowls or laxity of skin and fat under the jaw bone along the sides of the neck, Laser Assisted Liposuction is done through the incision under the ear lobule to melt the fat and tighten skin to help improve the jaw line. This is sometimes referred to as the Laser Neck Lift

Approach from several angles

It is matter of the doctor's training an experience of his/her results.  It is not uncommon to use both incisions so that the extra fat can be removed more evenly.

Dr. ES

Incisions for Liposuction of Chin

First, you are a good candidate for this procedure, (good skin and a recognizable deposit of fat). When we do Liposuction, we typically place more than one incision for the area.  This allows us to "cross cut" the area, resulting in a smoother contour.  For the area under the chin, the incisions are usually a little behind the crease under the chin, and behind each ear.  Again, it is important to talk to your plastic surgeon so he can evaluate you and tailor the treatment to you.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Types of incisions for Chin liposuction

As you have noticed, there are several different types of incisions for Chin liposuction. In our practice, we generally start with a single incision directly behind the crease under your chin. This typically allows us access to the entire Chin region. However, if there are areas of fat that we are not able to access with this single incision, we will then make an additional incision behind one or both ears. All incisions are placed in inconspicuous areas and within lines that already exist in your skin.

Chin liposuction scars are not visible.

The incisions for liposuction of the chin and neck are the size of a pencil POINT.  So don't worry about them.

We use a tiny incision under the chin, and a tiny incision behind each ear.   When I approach the neck and chin from several directions, you get a smoother contour.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Incisions for Chin Liposuction

The best way to perform this is with 3 incisions, at the ears and submental. This allows you to get to the jowls also. If you are limited to the chin only, the chin incision alone is good enough. Hope this helps answer your question.

Dr. Nassif

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Incision location for Chin Liposuction

To prevent rippling and waviness liposuction is best done from two opposite sites with criss crossing tunnels. If the amount of fat under the chin is localized to just that area, one could limit the liposuction port incisions to just a single incision. On the other hand, IF the fat is more widely distributed, if the surgeon wants to create a sharper face to neck definition along the jaw line, then we definitely would use two or three ports.

The incisions are so small that when they heal, unless you told someone, they would have a hard time finding them.