Mini Tummy Tuck Straight After C-section?

I've had slack skin since giving birth ten years ago, I'm due to give birth again in January. I haven't gained any extra weight, but I'm thinking of asking my doctor for a mini tummy tuck straight after having a C section. My slack skin has depressed me for years. What do you think? I live in Scotland, and was told another local lady had this done after giving birth.

Mini-tummy tuck after c-section.

I know it sounds convenient to have this all done and behind you.  However, you should definitely wait for at least 6 months after giving birth before having any procedure on your abdomen.  The skin an muscles need to contract so that a proper plan can be made.  Be will be worth it!

Not a good idea

Having your obstetrician perform a "mini tummy tuck" is probably a bad idea unless your obstetrician is also a fully trained board certified plastic surgeon. 

Good luck!

Abdominoplasty after c section? Yes it can be done

If this is your last baby and you had stretched out skin after your previous pregnancies, an immediate tummy tuck can be done after a scheduled c-section.

Proceed with caution. It is probably not a good idea to schedule a c-section just so that you can have a tummy tuck at the same time. You should be planning a c-section for the health of you and your baby. You should be sure that the hospital where you are delivering, your OB-GYN, and the anesthesiologist are all comfortable with this combination of procedures. And you should have a surgeon experienced with tummy tuck do the tummy tuck. It is probably not a great idea to have the OB do the tummy tuck if he or she has not had plastic surgery training.

Combining these procedures does increase the risk of certain postoperative complications such as infection or vein clots in the legs, but not hugely. My tummy tuck patients are done on an out patient basis so your hospitalization will be determined by your c-section. Barring complications you should go home with the baby when the OB-GYN feels you are safe, the same as if you had only a c- section.

My patients have felt that they have friends and family ready to help with the new baby, but would not have that help or be able to take time away from their families if the tummy tuck were done later. The patients I have operated on have not felt that the tummy tuck made the recovery much different than their previous c-sections, and all in all, they have been pleased to have had the opportunity to take care of that stretched out belly at the same time as the delivery.

You should be healthy and have a medical team comfortable with this process. If you have that support in place, this combination of procedures can be safely done and result in a great outcome.

Elizabeth Slass Lee, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mini tuck afer c section

Although it sounds like a great time and convenient way to get your abdomen back to its natural state, it is best to wait. The complication rate is higher when combining these procedures and the results aren't as good because your abdominal wall needs time for your uterus to return to its normal size before a real assessment as to what exactly needs to be done can be determined. I suggest waiting at least 3 months before doing the mini tuck. My preference is wait 6 months so I can assess the skin as well and your tummy will have recovered enough from the initial scar of the c section to make a good assessment. 

W. John Bull, MD

A Tummy Tuck at the Same Time as a C-Section

While an appealing idea, additional surgery of any kind at the time of a C-section is never a good idea and is reserved for extreme and emergent situations. Combining a C-section with a tummy tuck of any kind results in higher complication rates and results are not as good as when the abdominal skin has had a chance to shrink back down. This is usually 3 to 6 months after your pregnancy.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Brian Windle, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Mini Tummy Tuck immediately after C-section

Mini tuck is a great way to rid of loose skin below the belly button area. However, we DO NOT recommend any kind of cosmetic surgery of the abdomen during C-section. Its better to focus on your baby. After you have recovered from the pregnancy, look for a qualified plastic surgeon and book a paid consult.
Experience, training, and results matters a lot during mini tuck. Non Plastic surgeons (cosmetic surgeons) tend to charge less than Plastic Surgeon.

Do your research and find a real Plastic Surgeon and book a paid consultation. Free consults are just a sales pitch and does not work in your best interest.

Below are other criteria to use when selecting a Plastic surgeon.

Questions to ask (Answering NO is a big red flag)
1) Are you a plastic surgeon? (Do you know difference between cosmetic surgeon & plastic surgeon)
2) Are you board certified in Plastic Surgery?
3) Will the procedure be performed at a fully accredited procedure room or ambulatory surgery center
4) Do you have hospital privilege to perform liposuction and tummy tuck? Which Hospital?
5) Do you offer complication insurance (it does happen, it better to be safe)

The most important decision is to do your homework well. Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

Wait a few months

My best recommendation for you would be to wait a few months after recovering from your C-Section. You want to be alert and attentive to your newborn child and having a tummy tuck after surgery may limit you to a few mommy duties that will need attention. I would recommend you focus on your new baby while allowing your body to heal from the c-section and then consult with a surgeon. Congratulations on your new addition!

Dr. Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Best to wait months after having your last child.

Thank you for your question. This question comes up frequently in my practice.

I do not recommend any sort of tummy tuck procedures whether it is a full tummy tuck or mini tummy tuck at the time of childbirth or even immediately thereafter. It is best to wait several months to allow the intra-abdominal uterus to return to its normal size. Additionally, the skin will retract significantly on its own. My recommendation and the recommendation of a majority of my colleagues is to wait for months or even up to a year after having your last child before undergoing a tummy tuck operation.

- Dr. Bryson Richards

Mini Tummy Tuck Immediately After C-section?

Although this technically could be performed, it's best to wait to have a tummy tuck. Your body will undergo changes after the delivery and it's best to wait until your body has finished changing. Once you have reached a stable weight, a mini or full tummy talk, could be performed. In person consultation with a plastic surgeon will help determine the best procedure for you.

Tummy tuck after C section

Knowing that the body will go through significant changes after a C-section means that whatever changes you obtain  by having a simultaneous surgery may be lost in the ensuing months. Wait several months until you are stable and then have your tummy tuck. 

Francisco Canales, MD
Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon