Hot Water and Pressure to Reduce a Keloid?

If I apply hot water and pressure to a developing keloid scar, will it reduce the scar?

Doctor Answers 4

Non surgical treatment of keloid scars

Keloids should be treated early and aggressively.  Pressure treatment is recommended using specific protocols, however, hot water may elicit a histamine response that has not shown to modulate keloids. Surgery90210 Karamanoukian

Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 94 reviews

Keloid scar and treatment

If you have a developing keloid, there are many different ways to treat it.  I have never heard of hot water.  Some treatments include steroid injections, topical silicone sheeting, pressure dressings,. surgical excision, and radiation to name a few.

Steven Wallach, MD
New York Plastic Surgeon
4.1 out of 5 stars 29 reviews

Hot water and pressure for keloid reduction, unlikely to work

If this is a developing keloid scar as you mentioned, then your best bet will be to see a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who can properly identify the nature of your scar and begin on a plan of action to reduce the keloid.

There are a few different, effective ways to treat keloids, including steroid injections, silicone or silastic sheets, excision, radiation to name a few.

Please seek the care of a specialist who can help you in this early phase.

Good Luck!

Dr. B.

Anifat Balogun, MD
Seattle Otolaryngologist

Hot water and pressure to reduce a keloid?

There are many ineffective and partially effective treatments for Keloids. There NO uniformly completely effective Keloid treatments.

If your scar is indeed a keloid, I would see a Dermatologist or a Plastic surgeon who may want to inject it with corticosteroids / possible radiate it and treat it with silicone sheeting and pressure.


Peter A. Aldea, MD
Memphis Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 109 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.