Botox for Drooping Mouth Corners?

The corners of my mouth droop. People often ask me what's wrong. Can Botox be used to help this and where would they inject it?

Juvederm or Restylane plus Botox works for droopy mouth corners

Injecting a half cc of Juvederm or Restylane ($350) plus injecting Botox ($300) should fix that droopy mouth corners quite well for about 3-5 months.

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Quite helpful

One of the growing uses of Botox is exactly that, ie. turning up the corner of the drooping mouth. It is done by putting a few units into the Depressor Anguli Oris (DAO) muscle. This is the muscle that pulls the corners of the mouth down often giving the patient an unhappy or scowling look.

If you have it done, by a physician experienced in its administration, I am quite sure you would be happy with its affect.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Injectable Fillers work well to correct the downturned corners of your mouth.

Although BOTOX is used for downturned corners of the mouth, I prefer using Injectable Fillers to replace volume in the groove, and improve the appearance.

I've attached a photo demonstrating filling the "marionette groove" for your perusal.

I hope this helps, and best regards.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Yes, but Botox not the only option for drooping mouth corners

Dear Ritamarie

A small dose of BOTOX in the depressor anguli oris muscle can help lift the corner. This treatment will be effective for several months. However, filling the corner of the mouth and the depressor anguli oris area with Perlane will accomplish the same goal but provide a result that has the potential to last well over a year. This is a much better alternative although the treatment will cost more.

Botox (and Fillers) to Elevate the Corners of the Mouth

Hi Rita,

A few units of Botox properly placed into the muscle that depresses or pulls down the corners of your mouth will help your drooping mouth. As to where it would be injected, that would be in a qualified physician's office, the physician better know where to put it and not depend on your showing her/him. It is placed in the depressor anguli oris muscle.

Additionally, a filler injected properly in the corners of the mouth will also elevate the droop.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox Relaxes Muscles to Lift Lips

We would inject Botox into the muscles that run parallel from the corners of the mouth down to the chin (depressor aguli oris). Once they've relaxed, your mouth corners should naturally lift. Any creases can be filled with Juvederm, Restylane or Volbella. Please see a board-certified dermatologist to find out if you are a candidate for Botox and dermal fillers.

Margaret Weiss, MD
Baltimore Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox Can Fix Drooping Mouths

Botox injected in the depressor anguli oris muscle will weaken it, preventing it from pulling your mouth corners downward. That may be sufficient to give you a more pleasant demeanor. If you have developed wrinkles from the muscle's action, these can be filled in with a hyaluronic-acid-based filler, such as Juvederm. You will need maintenance treatments every three to four months. I hope this helps.

Botox For Drooping Mouth Corners

You are correct in guessing that Botox can be used to stop your muscles from dragging your mouth corners downward. Once the muscle is relaxed, your expression should be more relaxed too. With any luck, people will start inquiring into why you look so happy, instead. Please find a board-certified dermatologist with expertise in Botox injection.

Botox Can Lift Mouth Corners

Using Botox in the depressor anguli oris muscle can prevent it from pulling the corners of your mouth down. That will allow your lips to remain upturned. Injections have to be very carefully placed as too much Botox or improperly placed Botox can give you a “stoke-like” appearance and/or make an unusual smile. Depending on how severe the mouth droop is, you might also need hyaluronic-acid based fillers such as Juvederm, Vobella or Restylane to fill in the grooves. Please see a board-certified dermatologist to find out how to give yourself a more relaxed demeanor.

Mitchel P. Goldman, MD
San Diego Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox for Drooping Mouth Corners...

To improve the drooping mouth corners, I commonly use both of the following techniques -- (1) injecting filler into the mouth corner, and (2) injecting Botox into the muscle that normally depresses the corner of the mouth, the Depressor Anguli Oris.

Be sure to seek the services of an experienced physician injector. I think the key with Botox lies in truly understanding the anatomy of the injected area, and more importantly the variability in the anatomy between patients -- for brows, the forehead, and anywhere else you plan on receiving a Botox injection. This includes having a firm understanding of the origin, insertion, and action of each muscle that will be injected, the thickness of each muscle targeted, and the patient variability therein. As an aesthetic-trained plastic surgeon, I am intrinsically biased since I operate in the area for browlifts and facelifts, and have a unique perspective to the muscle anatomy since I commonly dissect under the skin and see the actual muscles themselves. For me, this helps guide where to inject and where not to. However, with that said, I know many Dermatologists who know the anatomy well despite not operating in that area, and get great results.

Good luck.

Dr Markarian