What Kind of Doctor to See to Remove Back Mice?

I have had back pain for several years and am only 23 years old. There are 4-5 moveable "nodules" on both my left and right sacroiliac regions, and my PCP thinks that they are "back mice." Who should I see to have them removed? Also, is it safe to have them surgically removed?

Doctor Answers 3

Black Mice?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Never heard of this.  I would recommend a new pcp to begin with.  Can't make a treatment plan without an accurate diagnosis. After the diagnosis, go from there.


Unaware of back mice?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Sounds like you need to go see a new pcp. I am unaware of the term back mice or what the diagnosis would be. It sounds like from your description that you may have some lipomas on the back. You first need to determine what the nodules are either via exam or biopsy and then upon a proper diagnosis you would look into proper treatment. I would love to have a follow up on this one if you have time please send a note via my email or website. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD
Orange County Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 218 reviews

"Back Mice"

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I have never heard of this term. It sounds as if they may be lipomas or neurofibromas. You may need radiographic evaluation and a biopsy prior to definitive treatment. I would recommend a plastic surgeon or general surgeon first.

Otto Joseph Placik, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 86 reviews

You might also like...

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.