I'm Just 18 and I'm Losing my Hair. Advise Me with Something Good I Can Do to my Hair.

I can even see the skin of my head because of the lost of hair. What can I do, before I lose all of my hair?

Doctor Answers 9

Treatment for Hair Loss at a Young Age

The first thing you need to do is consult a physician. Depending on whether you are male or female, hair loss may be totally normal at your age, with the onset of pattern baldness. Pattern baldness is a genetic condition, but can be exacerbated by excessive stress, poor blood circulation, poor diet, pregnancy (in the case of women), drug use, illness, thyroid issues, etc. You need to consult your doctor to find out the cause of your hair loss, and from there, you will likely be able to obtain a solution.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

Various Options

There are various options - medication such as Finasteride, prescribed by a GP or a topical stimulant such as Minoxidal. Alopecia is a an umbrella term for hair loss and there are many types and many causes. Best to see a specialist to determine the condition and underlying cause to get the most appropriate treatment.

Hassan Nurein, MD
London Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Losing Your Hair at Age 18

The best thing that you can do is see a dermatologist to evaluate the cause of the hair loss. There are many causes of hair loss other than male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia), and a dermatologist is an expert in diseases of the skin, hair and nails. Whether the cause is hormonal, nutritional, blood related, etc or androgenetic alopecia, the doctor should be able to give you some medical options to help with your hair loss.

Andrew Kaufman, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

18 and losing your hair

There are many causes of hair loss, and male pattern hair loss can begin quite early. An accurate diagnosis and treatment plan is important, so the first step is a visit with a Dermatologist who is comfortable with treating hair loss. You many be evaluated for systemic diseases, and you may be started on a topical or oral medication for the hair loss.

Robert Haber, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 2 reviews

Know the cause

The most important thing is to make sure your hair loss is genetic and normal.  I would definitely recommend that you run a few tests which I am sure will be fine and be examined by a physician to evaluate testicular size and overall testosterone status.  Since you are young, if all those are normal I would recommend platelet-rich plasma or PRP.  Good luck.

Samer Muala, MD
Phoenix Family Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 3 reviews

Temporary and Permanent Solutions

Hair loss is, for the most part, due to genetics. Hair loss can also be caused by illness, injury, medication, or medical conditions, among other things. You may have signs of early onset baldness, or may be losing your hair at a dramatic rate, either way its best to see your doctor as a stepping stone. They'll be able to advise you if your facing any underlining medical conditions. After a diagnosis (or non-diagnosis) you can begin exploring your options. 

Robert Jones, MD
Mississauga Hair Restoration Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 15 reviews

Hair loss at 18 years old

I recommend you see a physician to discuss your concerns.  It could be the on-set of androgen alopecia, genetic alopecia, or perhaps something else.  Either way you need to discuss your concerns with a physician and get an evaluation. 

Justin Misko, MD
Lincoln Hair Restoration Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

The sooner the better

the sooner you have a consultation with a hair restoration surgeon, the better. With losing hair at such a young age, the sooner you are started on preventative medications, the better off you will be. 

Rae Lynne Kinler, MD
Chicago Physician


Best practice is to learn as much as possible about holisitic organic alterations to your hair care routine.  Consult an expert and come up with a plan for the next 10-20 years and see if this plan is suitable for you.  To restore your hair, it will take commitment on your part to practice great hair care practices, use medications to minimize further loss, and if a transplant is needed to achieve your goal, to utilize that to keep up with hair loss.  Ounce of prevention is worth its weight in gold...

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 42 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.