I'm Just 18 and I'm Losing my Hair. Advise Me with Something Good I Can Do to my Hair.

I can even see the skin of my head because of the lost of hair. What can I do, before I lose all of my hair?

Treatment for Hair Loss at a Young Age

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The first thing you need to do is consult a physician. Depending on whether you are male or female, hair loss may be totally normal at your age, with the onset of pattern baldness. Pattern baldness is a genetic condition, but can be exacerbated by excessive stress, poor blood circulation, poor diet, pregnancy (in the case of women), drug use, illness, thyroid issues, etc. You need to consult your doctor to find out the cause of your hair loss, and from there, you will likely be able to obtain a solution.

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Various Options

There are various options - medication such as Finasteride, prescribed by a GP or a topical stimulant such as Minoxidal. Alopecia is a an umbrella term for hair loss and there are many types and many causes. Best to see a specialist to determine the condition and underlying cause to get the most appropriate treatment.

Hassan Nurein, MD - Account Suspended
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

Losing Your Hair at Age 18

The best thing that you can do is see a dermatologist to evaluate the cause of the hair loss. There are many causes of hair loss other than male pattern baldness (androgenetic alopecia), and a dermatologist is an expert in diseases of the skin, hair and nails. Whether the cause is hormonal, nutritional, blood related, etc or androgenetic alopecia, the doctor should be able to give you some medical options to help with your hair loss.

Andrew Kaufman, MD

See Your GP

First port of call in the UK would be to speak with your GP, they may in turn refer you to a Dermatologist at which point there me be some further tests. Privately you may seek out some advice from a Trichologist. There are different Non Surgical Solutions subject to Male/Female Hair Loss but Minoxidil is a good starting place, but speak to your Doctor first to ensure there are no other factors contributing towards your Hair Loss

Camilo Diaz, MD
London Hair Restoration Surgeon

What to do before complete hair loss?

First and foremost I would see a hair treatment specialist or a doctor that treats hair loss.  In general there are at least 5 basic treatments in different combinations used to treat hair loss and they are:

1) Nutritional support 

Supplementing the body with minerals and vitamins that support hair growth in conjunction with shampoos/conditioners and sprays that help reduce hair damage.

2) Low intensity laser therapy that helps improve the blood supply to the hair follicles and improves metabolism in the telogen phase(resting phase) and the catagen phase( shedding phase) which helps in the production of hair in the anlagen phase(growth phase)

3) using topical medications like minoxidil and finasteride 

4) PRP or Platelet Rich  Plasma which is derived from ones on blood. Blood is removed from the patient,  spun in a special centrifuge, platelets are  separated from other blood components and are injected into the scalp. By doing so once the platelets are injected they release growth factors that improve blood circulation to the hair follicles, revitalize and repair damaged tissue. 

5) Hair transplantation is the final solution for patients that have gone completely or partially bald.

There other emerging treatment modalities that can help people with hair loss, but the most basic ones are the ones I've enumerated above.

18 and losing hair

Hair loss can be very concerning for many patients, particularly when it occurs at a young age. At 18, a visit to a physician who is knowledgeable about hair loss would be the best starting point. This may be a hair restoration surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. Even some primary doctors are knowledgeable about hair loss. A workup and evaluation for any medical issues that might be causing hair loss would be important. A family history of hair loss would also be very important to obtain.

If all of these things point to androgenetic alopecia (male pattern hair loss) as the cause, then treatments aimed at slowing or stopping the hair loss process would be recommended. These might include minoxidil, finasteride, PRP injections, or other topical therapies. A hair transplant may be an option at some point, but not until the early 20's at the very earliest.

Matthew Richardson, MD
Frisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hair Loss Treatments

Losing hair at such a young age can be frustrating. We would first want to make sure that there is no underlining health conditions with standard bloodwork. Presuming you are in good health we typically start treating patients with Platet-Rich-Plasma treatments, also known as PRP. PRP is done by drawing the patient’s blood, then centrifuging it to retrieve the patient’s own growth factors. We then inject the high concentrated growth factors directly into where we see the hair loss reduction. Treatments are done once a month for 4 sessions, and there after may be retreated every 3-6 months. Mild tenderness can be expected post treatment but most patients can resume normal activity the following day.

Patients are also asked to apply Minoxidil once daily to affected area. This will optimize the treatment results. Always discuss possible side effects with your board certified Dermatologist.

Nissan Pilest, MD
Irvine Dermatologic Surgeon

18 and losing your hair

There are many causes of hair loss, and male pattern hair loss can begin quite early. An accurate diagnosis and treatment plan is important, so the first step is a visit with a Dermatologist who is comfortable with treating hair loss. You many be evaluated for systemic diseases, and you may be started on a topical or oral medication for the hair loss.

Robert Haber, MD
Cleveland Dermatologic Surgeon

Know the cause

The most important thing is to make sure your hair loss is genetic and normal.  I would definitely recommend that you run a few tests which I am sure will be fine and be examined by a physician to evaluate testicular size and overall testosterone status.  Since you are young, if all those are normal I would recommend platelet-rich plasma or PRP.  Good luck.

Samer Muala, MD
Phoenix Family Physician

Temporary and Permanent Solutions

Hair loss is, for the most part, due to genetics. Hair loss can also be caused by illness, injury, medication, or medical conditions, among other things. You may have signs of early onset baldness, or may be losing your hair at a dramatic rate, either way its best to see your doctor as a stepping stone. They'll be able to advise you if your facing any underlining medical conditions. After a diagnosis (or non-diagnosis) you can begin exploring your options. 

Robert Jones, MD, FISHRS
Mississauga Hair Restoration Surgeon