Smooth out your wrinkles and folds or give your cheeks a fuller, more youthful look with Radiesse, a longer lasting cosmetic filler which typically lasts between 9 – 18 months. Besides filling in lines and wrinkles, Radiesse can:
• Improve the shape and profile of noses (the “Lunchtime Nose Job”)
• Hide jowls and restore a smooth jaw line
• Enhance sunken and flat cheeks
Radiesse naturally and safely promotes growth of your own collagen through advanced microsphere technology. Smooth, pearl-like microspheres of calcium hydroxylapatite are dissolved in a soft gel which is injected into wrinkles, smile lines, marionette lines, cheeks, scars and other facial areas. These microspheres are slowly dissolved by the body into naturally occurring calcium and phosphate ions. In the skin Radiesse creates volume, resulting in a natural, youthful appearance. Because it does not need skin testing, gives a natural-looking appearance and last longer than most other fillers, many experts agree that Radiesse is now the filler of choice for facial contouring.
Results from Radiesse typically last up to twice as long as hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm and Restylane. While Juvederm is still the filler of choice for lips and fine lines, Radiesse is often the best choice for treating other facial areas. Radiesse is often used in combination with these fillers, Botox and laser rejuvenation treatments, such as Fraxel.
Treatments last 20 minutes and are usually painless. Depending on the areas treated, more than one syringe may be needed to create the best look possible. An enhancement may be needed 2-8 weeks after your first treatment to “fine-tune” your results and produce longer lasting improvement. Results typically last between 9-18 months but can be touched up sooner if consistent full correction is desired.
What to expect after your treatment: After injection, some common, temporary, injection-related reactions might occur: tenderness, redness, itching, bruising, bumps, pain or swelling. If any of these occur, they typically resolve within a few days. Occasionally the treated areas might feel firmer hours, days or weeks after your treatment, this is normal, will not be visible and will resolve within several weeks. Due to the risk of bruising, we recommend planning your treatments at least one week before any special events. Some minor swelling can sometimes persist up to several weeks after your treatment. This type of swelling only enhances your results by filling in the wrinkles a little more than the product does. When the swelling completely disappears you may think the product is going away but it is only the swelling that has disappeared. If you preferred how you looked with a little swelling, we can add more filler at a subsequent appointment.
Preparation for your treatment:
• ****Make sure you wash your face thoroughly before your treatment, including removing lipstick and face creams.****
• You do not need to apply any topical anesthetic ointments. We can mix an anesthetic with the Radiesse and will also use a cold spray to numb the areas at the time of treatment.
• To reduce the risk of bruising you may want to avoid aspirin, ibuprofen (Advil), vit. E, fish oil and similar medications for 1-2 weeks before your treatment. Arnica Montana, started the morning of your treatment or immediately after, will also help reduce bruising and swelling. A physician-strength version is available for purchase at our office.
Aftercare: Do not squeeze, massage or sleep directly on the areas for 24 hours, as this may subtly change the shape of the filler. Applying cold packs for 10-15 minutes every 15-60 minutes for several hours after your treatment helps reduce swelling and bruising. Taking Arnica Montana for 1-2 days will also help. Try the Villani Treatment to reduce bruising*.