When Can I Smile Big Again After ALAR Retraction Procedure?

Hi, I am an Asian, from (Philippines), I had ear cartilage rhinoplasty for dorsum, tip plasty and alarplasty, 2 weeks ago. It looks so natural because I did not ask for high bridge... just better lower half and tip of the nose. Alars look natural and narrower EXCEPT i can not smile big again which was my biggest asset before. it hurts so much when i laugh.Is it possible to request to cut some dissolvable suture under the nose that pulls the alar together so I can smile like before? Thank you!

Smiling Hurts After Rhinoplasty

+2

Dear Larry,

Congratulations on your results; if you are satisfied then things are going well.

At 2 weeks post-op, what you are experiencing may be pretty much normal but could not be confirmed as such without a physical examination. Knowing the full details of your surgery is an essential point.

I encourage you to have a little more patient and to try to get a hold of your surgeon and communicate with him/her explaining your issue as they may be the only ones with the full details of your surgery. It is likely that your smile and facial movements will be established soon.

I hope this helps and the best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Smile!

+2

First: Ask your surgeon this question.  However, about six weeks is a common number for initial nasal healing, for routine activities.  Stay Happy!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Give some time to heal after Rhinoplasty and Alarplasty

+2

Dear Larry, you are in the early stages of recovery from some extensive surgery and it is not uncommon to feel like your smile is unnatural and not the way it used it be. Swelling in the nose takes sometime to dissipate and while smiling should not cause you excessive pain keep your laughing and muscular movements to a minimum especially if causing discomfort. Your natural smiling and muscular movement should slowly come back to normal so have patience. Any concerns you have in the interim should be brought up to your surgeon so you may keep your mind at ease. Wishing you a speedy recovery full of laughs and smiles soon! Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Alar surgery issue

+1

It is quite common to be stiff and have pain with smiling after nasal surgery. Overtime as things settle down and the selling dissipates, it should get better.