Can a Nose Change Shape by Tugging, Pressure, Etc.?

Up until about the age of 18, certain members of my family used to pull my nose (as they used to do with my ears) out of fun and even I used to squeeze my nose because I felt that it was too fat (but was actually ok) and now my nose has become long. I sometimes get called elephant nose. Could my nose have taken shape after all those years of pulling?

The Impact Of Pulling On The Nose

+1

Pulling on your nose will not affect the size of it. The idea is that you are not having your nose in a cast 24/7 to direct it to develop in a given manner.

That being said, I understand that pulling on your nose may be irritating to certain degrees but I cannot see a correlation linking such a behavior to permanent nasal changes.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Pulling on the Nose will not cause cosmetic changes

+1

While we do not always love our family members ways of showing affection, pulling on noses, ears and kissing and smooching cheeks these do not have an everlasting effect. Well maybe they have an everlasting effect on our minds but certainly not on our anatomy. I would suggest that you see a good rhinoplasty surgeon for a consultation. One of the greatest joys of Plastic Surgery is helping to increase the self esteem of our patients and this often involves correcting areas that were teased in childhood years, noses, ears  etc..and these surgical changes can be life changing for our patients which is what makes us do what we do daily! 

Michael Elam, MD