When Am I Able to Continue Cheerleading After Rhinoplasty?

July 9th of this year I received rhinoplasty and tip correction. I am well aware of 2 weeks of rest until light workouts and 6 weeks until contact sport, however I'm wondering when I can resume to cheerleading. I wouldn't say its a contact sport but it consist of stunting and sometimes a hand, arm, or leg is in the wrong spot! I'm also a flyer (the one being tossed in the air), so I'm wondering how much time I should rest until I could cheer and stunt.

Cheerleading After Rhinoplasty

A patient can resume almost all workouts after about 4 weeks and contact sports can be resumed in 4-6 weeks.

9101 N. Central Expressway
Dallas, TX 75231

Activity after Rhinoplasty

I generally tell my patients who are involved in these activities to hold off on participation at least 8-12 weeks after your procedure. You have made a significant investment here and protecting that investment means time.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

707 W Eau Gallie Blvd
Melbourne, FL 32935

Cheering after Rhinoplasty

Your question, Petite, is not uncommon in those undergoing rhinoplasty.  Often it is young people who are undergoing rhinoplasty and they want to get back to activities ASAP.

I like to keep it simple:  No vigorous exercise or heavy lifting for 14 days.  After that, no restrictions whatsoever.  In the case of "contact sports" it depends a bit on way exactly was done.  If your surgeon made cuts in the bone to narrow the nose (osteotomies), then it would be wise to wait a full month.  You may even want to have a face shield made (look up your local anaplastologist) to further protect your nose.

Andrew Winkler, MD
Lone Tree Facial Plastic Surgeon

8080 Park Meadows Drive
Lone Tree, CO 80045

Cheerleading can be dangerous work!  Remember, six weeks for your initial nasal healing, three months for safe vigorous activity and one year for the end result.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

9834 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037

Resuming Cheerleading After Rhinoplasty

Dear Petite Rose,

Congratulations for your surgery; it seems to me that you are pretty satisfied with the results.

Therefore, the magical 6 weeks mark before you engage in exercising may not be enough when it comes to cheerleading with the "sometimes a hand, arm, or leg is in the wrong spot"!. It is crucial that you stay away from any risky activity/situation that could end up with a nasal trauma.

Usually, about 3 months you could resume your cheerleading activities as you would have achieved an acceptable level of recovery/healing.

Thank you for your inquiry.
The best of luck to you.

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

496 Old Newport Blvd
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Every Rhinoplasty is very different and that is why it is my favorite cosmetic surgery. My general rule is no strenuous exercise for at least 2 weeks. Absolutely no activity that will possibly cause you to be hit in the face for 6 weeks, i.e. hand, arm or leg in the wrong spot. I have had a Rhinoplasty and I can tell you I did not want anyone in my, "space" for a good 3 months. If I were you, spending good money to have a great operation, lay off the cheerleading until you are ready for someone to have a hand, arm or leg near your face. A few months for the rest of your life! Hope this helps guide you.

Richard J. Brown, MD

11000 N Scottsdale Rd.
Scottsdale, AZ 85254

Cheerleding and rhinoplasty

I usually have patients wait about 6-8 weeks after surgery before starting back on exertional activity. To be safe, it is best to ask your surgeon.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Wait 6 weeks after rhinoplasty prior to resuming normal activities

Many patients ask the question of when they can resume activity after rhinoplasty.  In general, waiting 6 weeks after rhinoplasty give you enough time to recover prior to resuming normal activities.  You can begin to exercise after two weeks as long as there is no concern for contact.

P. Daniel Ward, MD
Salt Lake City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgical Specialty Center
Salt Lake City, UT 84132

Is cheerleading permitted after rhinoplasty?

The timing of physical activity after rhinoplasty is a very common question. It varies between surgeons and type of rhinoplasty. The more complex and reconstructive the rhinoplasty, the longer the delay. A common starting point for resuming work outs is a month. The reason is this can delay the resolution of the swelling.

Oakley Smith, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

2349 Queen Street East
Toronto , ON M4E1H2

When to return to cheerleading after rhinoplasty

If there's a chance of being hit in the nose you'll probably want to wait a few weeks before returning to cheerleading. If controlled bone fractures (osteotomies) were done you'll need to wait 6 weeks for the bones to fully reset.

You should ask your surgeon for specific recommendations, though, as he or she would know your situation best.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104