Will a Rhinoplasty Help Make my Nostrils Smaller?

I want a smaller nose but even more I want smaller nostrils. I haven't really seen people get a nostril reduction is this possible? I absolutely hate my nostrils.

Rhinoplasty to Make Nostrils Smaller-Weir Resection

+4

Thank you for your question. Yes, a Rhinoplasty procedure called a Alarplasty or Weir Resection can be done to reduce nostril size.

However there are serious issues that you must consider:

• Reducing nostril size may reduce ability to breath through your nose
  • Visible external nasal scars are required
  • The nostrils can appear unnaturally flattened losing the normal curved shape
  • Risk of asymmetry or different sized nostrils

An experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who does many Rhinoplasties can examine you and make a recommendation with the above risks in mind.

When done properly by an experienced Plastic Surgeon results can be excellent. Choose your surgeon wisely.

Nostril reduction with alarplasty

+1

The nostrils can be made smaller through an alarplasty procedure.  A small incision is made at the base of the nostrils and a small amount of skin is removed from the nostril sill and the nostrils are narrowed.  This can be performed as a stand alone procedure known as an alarplasty or it can also be performed at the same time as a full rhinoplasty.

How can I make my nostrils smaller?

+1

An alar base reduction can reduce the size of the nostrils. I would recommend a consultation with a board certified facial plastic and reconstructive surgeon.  During a consultation, computer morphing software may be used to help get an idea of how your nose may appear following surgery. Once your image is morphed, you and your surgeon may discuss what procedures may benefit you most, and develop a plan for your surgery. Thanks, and best of luck!

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

Aestheically speaking, yes some nostrils can be reduced and others not so much.  Photos would help in the evaluation or you should have several consults with experioenced Rhinoplasty Surgeons.  Just because something can be done...does not always mean that aesthetically it should be done.

Alarplasty is the technical term for making nostrils smaller

+1

Alarplasty can address two different nostril shapes: it can reduce width and/or excess flare of the  nostrils. This is achieved by removing a small wedge of skin from the side or floor of the nostril. The incisions are usually barely visible if at all.

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Nostrils Addressed Through Rhinoplasty

+1

The flare, show and size of the nostrils is often addressed through rhinoplasties.

That said, only board certified surgeons of extensive experience with delicate rhinoplasties are the most qualified to provide commendable results.

Being a triple board certified, I have performed multiple surgeries where addressing the nostrils was at the core of the procedures.

However, every patient is different and every case is treated differently and should be approached in a custom manner as modifying the nostrils will have a noticeable impact over the nose and the face ultimately.

Thank you for your inquiry.

The best of luck to you.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Nostril size

+1

there are a multitude of procedures that can be done on the nostrils: to reduce the width, to reduce the size of the opening, to reduce the thickness of the wall to correct the shape as the tip is corrected etc. a good surgeon can evaluate what you need and offer options. 

M. Vincent Makhlouf, MD, FACS

Making nostrils look smaller nostril reduction

+1

The nostrils may appear big for several reasons. They may be oblong shaped or flare widely. The dividividing wall between nostrils(columella) may also be wide slim or hanging too low, which can give a perception of an abnormal sized nostril. The sidewall of the nose also contributes to the shape. Also, the sill, or the base of the nostril can contribute to nostril size and shape as well. An experienced rhinoplasty surgeon will be able to evaluate all of the areas and come up with a plan to create an appropriate size nostril keeping in mind that there are limitations due to anatomy and potential for impairing breathing function.

Joseph Shvidler, MD
Tacoma Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nostril reduction in Rhinoplasty

+1

The size of the nostrils as well as their with and "flaring" is possible while performing a rhinoplasty procedure. The term wire reduction is often used to describe this part of the rhinoplasty procedure.

Good luck!

Tal T. Roudner, MD, FACS
Coral Gables Plastic Surgeon

How to Reduce Nostril Size

+1

Nostril size reduction is a not uncommon part of many rhinoplasties I perform.  An incision on the "sill" of the nostril extending into the crease along the side of the nostril is required.  It can be done different ways to reduce the width of the base of the nose, the flare of the nostrils, or both. The amount of reduction possible is dependent on the way your nostril is shaped, especially along the "sill" section.  To understand what the "sill" of the nose is, tip your head back and think of the opening of your nostril as a window, the sill of the nostril would be the same part that you would call the sill of a window.

Louis W. Apostolakis, MD
Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon