Leaning Forward After Facial Surgery Bad?

Hi. My name is Ardenn. I had rhinoplasty, chin augmentation, buccal fat removal, and eyelid surgery 20 days ago. My first 3 days after surgery went well.I think around 5 days post-op i started doing some needlework to past time. I had to lean forward to do it. I noticed that everytime i do it, my face felt "heavy". Now I am 20 days post op I am still quite swollen. Would this have an effect on my long-term results? I mean the fact the i have been leaning forward for the past 3 weeks. thanks!

Leaning Forward After Facial Surgery

+1

Hi,

As a short answer, leaning forward for a long time will delay your recovery; your facial blood pressure may be increased hence your swelling. Your final results should not be affected.

That being said, you have to consider the fact that you are only 20 days post-op. Usually, it takes 12 months for the full recovery to take place but without knowing the full details of your surgery and your current status it is hard to assess where you stand.

I recommend that you be a little more patient and try to keep your exercises restricted. Following your surgeon's instructions is crucial as you keep him/her in the loop of your progress.

The best of luck to you.

Thank you for your inquiry. 

Best of wishes.

Dr. Sajjadian

Activity After Facial Surgery

+1

For the first week to two weeks after surgery, your activity should be restricted to avoid bending over. As far as this affecting long term results, there is no need to worry, however It is best to rest with the head elevated as much as possible following your procedure.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling when I lean forward after surgery

+1

As a general rule of thumb I typically advise patients to avoid leaning forward or straining after facial cosmetic surgery. That being said, I highly doubt that this will have any long lasting adverse impact on your recovery. It is very common to have residual swelling 20 days after the surgical procedures that you had done. I would follow up with your surgeon to ensure that you are healing normally.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Leaning forward after Rhinoplasty, Buccal fat removal and Chin Augmentation will not effect long term result

+1
Swelling after surgery's common and patients who lean over for activities such as yoga, pilates, weight lifting etc will see some swelling after these activities. Will they hurt the end result? No. However if these activities are causing problems then they should be avoided. Certainly needle pointing or needle work should not be a problem. Perhaps you can change the position you are doing the work in and stay more elevated to reduce any excess swelling. I would see your surgeon for a follow up appointment and discuss your concerns for further answers. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Leaning Forward

+1

As the saying goes: If it hurts, don't do it.  Swelling after surgery is a fact, but trying to reduce swelling is a good idea.  Talk to your surgeon about this.

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon