What Are Potential Risks for Brazilian Butt Lift?

Generally low risk

+7

Hi there- I agree that the risks of a Brazilian Butt Lift are generally those of liposuction (because liposuction is 1/2 of the operation), with the additional risks of fat necrosis (formation of lumps in the buttocks). All in all, however, the procedure should carry a very favorable risk to benefit ratio when performed by a qualified and experienced surgeon. Make sure you find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and he/she has experience performing the procedure you are interested in, as well as any procedures that may be necessary if results aren't excellent.

Brazilian Buttocks Lift risks

+5

All surgeries have risks. Fortunately complications from this surgery when done by an experienced Plastic Surgeon are rare. I have been performing this surgery for over 12 years now and have only had one patient have a significant complication, and that was an infection which didn't occur until after she was involved in a car accident.

The one thing that I do see in about 5-10% of patients is a small seroma, which is a collection of fluid under the skin. This is a relatively common occurrence with liposuction and either goes away on its' own or may need to be aspirated with a tiny needle in the office, which is relatively painless.

I have never seen it associated with the buttocks augmentation part of the procedure. Of course there are always medical risks associated with any kind of surgery, bleeding, infection, blood clots, allergic reactions.... Fortunately they are also rare. We take many precautions to try to prevent them

Daniel P. Markmann, MD

Few side effects

+4

...

Fat grafting to the buttock area is a relatively new procedure; the following are the most important adverse effects:

1-Asymmetry: Injection of fat must be done carefully and in a symmetric way (same volume on both sides)

2-Overcorrection, undercorrection: It is always safe to aim for a slight over correction in order to achieve a good result once the swelling is gone.

3-Hardening of the injected fat.

4-Adverse effects of liposuction.

5-General adverse effects e.g. infection, scar hypertrophy etc

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

Predominantly Safe Procedure

+3

While this is a predominantly safe procedure, as with any major surgery, there may be risks involved.  Some potential problems that patient's may encounter is excessive loss of blood needing a blood transfusion.  Blood clots could arise causing pulmonary embolism following surgery, as well as numbness and pain.  These issues rare and the majority of patient's do not encounter any problems following surgery.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Risks of Brazilian Buttlift

+2

Although there is a laundry list for all of the possible outcomes, fluid collection and fat dissolution are the two most common occurrences.  Over the many hundred I have done, I have not seen an infection.  I have not seen bleeding or hematoma.  I have not seen any extensive fat necrosis.  I certainly have not seen DVT or PE, puncture of organs, or fat emboli.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Brazilian buttlift Los Angeles, CA

Complications of the Brazilian butt lift

+2

The complications of the Brazilian butt lift include:

1) fat embolism, injection of fat into the bloodstream and causes inflammation the lungs

2) pulmonary embolism and deep vein thrombosis, this is a complication associated with all types of surgery and any immobilization  ( Serena Williams had this after plane flight)

3) infection, when the fat injection the buttocks in the best case scenario 70% of the fat lives and 30% dies. 30% of the fat is a good source of food for bacteria.

4) fluid shifts and lidocaine toxicity, complications of liposuction

5) complications of anesthesia

Wendell Perry, MD

Potential Risks of a Brazilian Butt Lift

+2

These procedures are fortunately very safe.  But as you know, everything in medicine and surgery has some risks.  The risks are very similar to any liposuction procedure:  fluid collection (seroma)/bleeding, infection, contour irregularlities, pain/numbess, and need for revision surgery. In addition, I would add fat necrosis (hardening of small pocket of fat), fat cysts, and failure to achieve the desired volume (due to resorption of the fat injected).   Additional fat micrografting treatments may be needed.

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS

Risks of brazilian buttock augmentation are similar to liposuction

+2

brazilian buttock augmentation is by far much less risky than buttock implants. There can be infection, seroma or fluid collection, fat necrosis, skin dimpling, and asymmetry but their incidence is very low.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS