Brazilian Butt Lift Through Smart Lipo?

Can Brazilian Butt Lift be done with fat obtained through Smart Lipo, or does the fat have to be harvested through traditional Liposuction?

Smart Lipo for Brazilian Butt Lift?

Definitely wouldn't recommend it!

Smart Lipo uses a laser to break up and melt the fat cells, killing them. What you have to understand is that the Brazilian procedure doesn't just transfer fat. This procedure is really a way of transferring the cells that store the fat, Fat Cells. The goal is to transfer these cells in a way that they survive in their new location, the soft tissues of the buttocks. Therefore, laser liposuction, ultrasonic liposuction, and even power assisted liposuction are probably a bad idea as they all will damage more fat cells.

This is a very tedious and delicate procedure. We do everything we can to preserve the fat cells. I have performed this procedure hundreds of times over the past 12+ years, and have refined my technique to what I have found that works. However there maybe docs out there who would use these alternative liposuction techniques. Be sure you choose a reputable and Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for your procedure. And, be sure you can see lots of before and after photos with good results that you would be happy with. Good luck!

Dr M

Smart lipo destroys fat cells and therefore can not be used for harvesting fat fro buttock augmentation

Because laser liposuction or "smart liposuction" destroys fat cells, it can not be used to harvest fat cells for grafting into the buttocks. I guess "smart lipo" is not such a "smart idea".

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Smart Lipo Brazilian Butt Lift

Smart Lipo melts fat and shrinks the skin.  To get the best of both I harvest the fat with traditional tumescent liposuction.  I then use Smart Lipo after the fat has been harvested to get better skin shrinkage from the harvested areas.  This way the fat is not melted and you get better skin shrinkage.

Smart Lipo and the Brazilian Butt Lift

The harvesting and transfer of fat necessary to augment your buttocks is very dependent upon the way the fat is taken from the donor site. The laser superheats the fat and essentially destroys the fat cells. When this 'fat' is then transferred it is guaranteed to disappear with time. Suctioning must be done with lower suction pressures and gentle handling of fat. Blasting the fat with a laser is a recipe for an expensive but disappointing result.

Jon F. Harrell, DO

Improving results with Brazilian Buttock lift

To get the best result with Brazilian Butt Lift, you need the following;

• adequate Fat
  • Excellent technique and extensive experience by your surgeon.
  • The three processes of micro injecting the fat should be done meticulously and without trauma to the very fragile fat cells.  These include non-traumatic fat transfer techniques during 1. Harvesting 2. Processing and 3. micro injecting the fat cells.

Make sure you discuss with your surgeon what he feels will give you the best result. Discuss your expectation and desires in detail.

Also, please remember that traditional, power assisted, ultrasonic and smart Liposuction all destroy fat cells to some degree.

Hope this was helpful.

Dr. Sajjadian

Ali Sajjadian, MD, FACS

Smart Lipo is a bad choice for Fat Transfer and Brazillian Butt Lift

Both the buttock itself AND the areas surrounding the buttock are key to the appearance of a sexy butt. This recognition lends itself to combining liposuction with fat transfer to optimize the buttock shape and is the technique used in a "Brazillian Butt Lift."

Many techniques have been proposed for fat harvesting for transfer to other areas of the body, but Smart Lipo makes the least sense as it heats and destroys the fat cells. While techniques such Vaser liposuction using ultrasound have been employed for fat transfer, I believe that traditional liposuction make the most sense.

I've heard it said that "I would rather have a Smart Surgeon than Smart Lipo," and I think that applies here. The skill, judgement and experience of your surgeon is the most important factor in helping you reach your goals. 

Hope this helps

You need fat that will survive.

With Brazillian butt lifts the goal is to transfer fat from unwanted areas and use it to enhance the profile of the buttocks. The fat that is transferred should be treated so that it will survive.

Transferring fat that will die will lead to complications like infection and loss of contour improvement. Smart lipo, laser lipo, cool lipo, ultrasonic lipo - anything where there is increased fat cell destruction means the fat you transfer may not survive.

Traditional liposuction should be used. Now that does not mean you can't have other liposuction techniques at the same time, but that fat shouldn't be used as part of the contouring for the Brazillian Butt Lift.

Steven Williams, MD

Fat transfer requires non-traumatized fat cells.

Fat transfer requires non-traumatized fat cells. Smart Lipo uses a laser to melt the fat. These fat cells would not be viable for transfer techniques. Depending on how much fat you need transfered, it would be possible to do traditional liposuction to get enough fat for transfer and then perform Smart Lipo everywhere else.

I hope this is helpful.

David Shafer, MD
New York City

David Shafer, MD

BBL and smart liposuction

You want to transfer live fat cells so any treatment that destroys cells will lessen your results. Many forms of liposuction can and do destroy cells so these should be avoided.

Brazilian Butt Lift through Smart Lipo?

Smart lipo uses a laser to melt and destroy fat cells. The fat cells are so damaged that they should not be used to transfer to the buttocks because the cells will not survive the transfer. Tumescent traditional liposuction is almost always used with a Brazilian Butt Lift because this technique does not laser or heat up and melt the fat cells. The fat cells are not damaged by traditional liposuction and the "take" of the fat cell is much better. I will sometimes use Smart lipo or Vaser liposuction probes after harvesting the fat in order to heat up the collagen in the skin for more skin shrinkage in areas such as the abdomen when a woman has excess skin after having children.

Stanley Castor, MD