Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery

I want to go for the Brazilian Butt Lift in March. Can someone tell me what is the usual recovery time for this type of procedure?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

BBL Recovery time

+2

As far as recovery is concerned, I generally tell my patients that they may return to work in 10-14 days after a brazilian butt lift. General swelling may take 6-8 weeks to improve, but the inflammation from the liposuction can last several months. I recommend postponing exercise and sexual activity until after 4 weeks. My patients are instructed to minimize sitting for one month. If your job requires sitting, a special pillow can be used to take some of the weight off of the buttocks. Please consult a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.epsmiami.com

Recovery process after a Brazilian Butt lift

+1

A Brazilian butt lift is a safe and effective procedure that combines liposuction of the abdomen hips waist and back and then fat grafting to the gluteal region. This is a safe and effective way to contour the lower body. Like all surgeries, there is a recovery process after a Brazilian butt lift. In our practice, we asked that the patients do not place pressure on to the areas where we have placed them in fat grafts. This means that patients have to sleep facedown or on their side. They should also avoid sitting on to this area. When patients need to sit or drive, we ask that they use an inflatable donut cushion to help prevent pressure onto the fat grafts. We also provide the patients with a garment that will apply even compression to the areas that the treaty with liposuction and will not apply pressure to the areas with the fat grafts.

Brazilian butt lift recovery

+23

The recovery period for a Brazilian butt lift is about 10-14 days. I typically keep the patient overnight for observation. There is a lot of fluid shift from the liposuction performed and the fluid injected prior to surgery. In addition, if properly done, this is a surgery that takes between 4-6 hrs depending on the projection of the butt that the patient wants.

1.     Do not seat for about 2 weeks. This is very important because prolonged sitting will damage the fat. The fat behaves as a graft (no blood supply) during the first few weeks. Once the fat develops its own blood supply, then, sitting will be recommended.
2. Walk and stretch your legs. You need to move, move, move… This will help  decrease the risk of developing clots.
3. Take ibuprofen 400mg by mouth every 6 hrs around the clock.
4. Do buttock stretching exercises. This will help you recover faster.
5.  Wear your girdle at all times. You can remove it to take a shower;  then, wear the girdle again.
6.  Record the drain output. You will have a drain on your lower back to remove all the fluid that is accumulated. This will give better results.
7. After 2 weeks of sitting, use a cigar shape cushion when sitting. This will bump your buttock and avoid excessive pressure.
8. From the first day after surgery, take water pills for three consecutive days. Your body will be swollen all over because of the fluid shift. This will help getting rid of your swelling.
9. Wear a compression stocking net the first day after surgery to help prevent clots.
10. Drink plenty of fluid; do not get dehydrated.
11. Take clyndamycin for 7 days. This will help decrease the chances of infections.

Web reference: http://www.babygotbutt.com

Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery Time

+6

Thanks for the question -

In our san Francisco area practice we typically perform Brazilian butt lifts as outpatient procedures meaning that our patients usually go home the same day. We use a compression garment immediately post-operatively to improve the contour of the areas we have performed liposuction on.

We ask our patients to avoid strenuous exercise for the first two weeks followed by gradually increasing their exercise regimen.

We ask that patients avoid sitting on their buttocks for longer than one hour at a time for about 4 weeks to improve the fat transfer survivability.

Patient's can typically return to their activities of daily living after 2 - 3 days.

I hope this helps!

Brazilian Butt Recovery

+5

In general, Brazilian Butt enhancement require Liposuction of several areas of the body to sculpt those areas and contribute to the butt enhancement. The fat is processed and purified then injected to the buttock, where you desire the enhancement.

The recovery is about one week off work then three weeks of avoiding long sittind periods and avoid heavy activity for three weeks. Wearing the compression Garment for three to six weeks, sitting on a doughnut for three weeks.

Ivest in the recovery time to get the optimal results and THE NEW YOU.

Recovery time for the Brazilian Buttock Lift

+5

A Brazilian Butt Lift is typically an out-patient procedure, meaning you can have the lift done, and go home the same day, with restrictions. Some patients may choose to stay overnight in a health care facility.

The recovery time for the Brazilian Butt Lift generally involves taking about 1 week away from work, and 3 weeks away from exercise and heavy lifting. Every surgeon will have different requirements that you will be asked to abide by.

Most normal, daily activities can be resumed in about 1 week and a compression garment is worn by patients for a few weeks post-operatively to ensure minimal swelling and smooth results. This helps with the contour of the areas that experienced liposuction. However, please keep in mind that patients can’t sit or lie directly on the area that was grafted for about 14 days after the procedure.

Brazilian Butt Lift Recovery

+4

Hi Bella,

Different surgeons will likely give you different answers as to what you can and can't do after this surgery, as well as how long you will need off of work.

I have been doing this procedure for a long time, over 12 years, and have tried many different routines. I have changed my suggestions for patients according to my experience and seeing what has worked best for most patients. I cannot tell you that my recommendations are the "right" way or that there is for sure a "wrong way". Some surgeons may have very different recommendation for their patients and still get very good results. However, I have also seen some patients come to me after having this procedure done elsewhere saying that they see no difference, and when I look at their before and after photos, I have no choice but to agree. Fat grafting is a very tenuous and unpredictable procedure. This may be due in part to patients not following their surgeons recommendations. I try to give my patients very explicit instructions as to what you can and can't do.

The Brazilian Buttocks Lift/ Micro Fat Grafting procedure (as it is also known) is a very advanced plastic surgery procedure and is best performed by experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeons. When done well, the results are incomparable! Ask your surgeon for their recommendations.

Dr M

Typical Recovery Time After a Brazilian Butt Lift

+3

Most brazilian butt lift patients can return to a non-physical job in about a week or so. It really depends on how much fat grafting and liposuction was done, and in what areas (lipo to collect fat cells which are then re-inserted in the buttocks).  In some cases recovery may take a little longer. Most BBL patients report returning to full activity levels within 3-4 weeks.  

Butt recovery

+3

Bella,

Hello again. You will be up and walking on the day of surgery and performing activities of daily living probably the day or two after surgery. It is best to get at least a full week off from work if you can. I restrict my Brazilian butt lift patients from sitting directly on their buttocks for a full two weeks. This does not mean that you can't sit at all. Stools or open back chairs are acceptable, as well as, placing pillows or blankets/sheets under your thighs to raise your buttocks up off the chair. Much of the recovery depends on your level of pain tolerance. Each surgeon may have his/her own set of restrictions for the recovery period, so see your local board certified plastic surgeon for specific instructions. Good luck!

Principles of Recovery after BBL

+2
The recovery for Brazillian Butt Lift involves understanding the following principles:

0: Getting through the first couple days:

Brazillian butt lifts can be relatively long operative procedures. The processing and insertion of the fat requires a meticulous technique which is time consuming and depends on the amount of liposuction and fat transfer that is involved.  For this reason patients should have someone with them after surgery while they are recovering from the effects of anesthesia for at least 24-48 hours. During the first couple days there may be some leaking of fluid from the incision sites (as with any liposuction procedure). It helps to place plastic bags on the seats of the car on the way home from surgery and underneath the bed sheets to protect the mattress from leaking of fluid for the first couple days. The drainage is normal and for very large fat transfers a drain may be placed to siphon off the fluid. Generally it is good to keep oral intake fairly low for the first night after surgery to avoid nausea. The patient should walk around inside the house at least three times a day for the first few days to keep good circulation in the legs. Ambulation during the postoperative period is also good to avoid constipation that can occur from the pain medicine. Regular follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon is essential to a good result and avoiding any complications. 

1. Protection of the transferred fat cells during the early phase.

In order to protect the transferred fat cells during the period when they are trying to reestablish their blood supply patients should avoid sitting or laying on the buttocks for at least 2 weeks. Patients that must return to work earlier and that may require sitting can use a "cain chair" which I can provide as part of their surgery.

2. Compression of the donor sites.

The Brazillian Butt lift is an amazing procedure which not only shapes the buttocks, but just as importantly shapes the body. Compression of the abdomen and back (donor sites) should be maintained and gradually increased from recovery garment, to compression garment, to corset garment for optimal results. I instruct my patients to maintain compression for at least three months to achieve the most dramatic results. Liposuctioned areas may continue to shrink for up to 6 months after surgery. Compression is essential to minimizing wrinkling of tissue and other contour abnormalities after liposuction and is not bothersome the the vast majority of patients.

3. Exercise of the gluteal region.

Exercising the buttocks starting at three weeks postoperative (approved after my examination) can greatly enhance the result. The injected fat cells flourish with the extra blood supply that is provided by exercise of the gluteal musculature. Healthy buttocks muscles help maintain volume and lift the buttocks further enhancing the result. In addition regular exercise keeps the patient in good overall shape and prevents recurrence of excess body fat around the waist and trunk. There are a number of Youtube videos which illustrate excellent butt exercises and squatting is also highly effective to increase overall buttocks muscle volume and tone. 

4. Avoid smoking.

As with any surgery (and in general) smoking is not recommended. The transplanted fat cells need to reestablish their blood supply and the nicotine and other poisons present in cigarette smoke are a hindrance to healing. 

When this procedure is performed properly by a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and the patient adheres to principles outlined above the results can be amazing. Fat transfer has revolutionized our ability to sculpt patient's bodies as plastic surgeons. 

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.