9 Weeks Since Open Rhinoplasty and my Nose is Uneven - What Can I Do?

Hello Doctors! Its been 9 weeks since open Rhinoplasty. The lower half of my nose looks like its going off to my left side. My left lower half looks thicker/fuller and I feel a bump that is a little tender (on a scale from 0-10,10 being worst I rate it at abt 2 in tenderness) to touch?!?!...also my left alar rim looks rounder than the right and my nostrils indicate the same...Wouldn't be to concerned if it wasn't noticeable, but it is from my front view...Any advice will be appreciated..Thanks!

Wait before considering revision rhinoplasty

+1

Post rhinoplasty swelling is present for 6 to 12 months after rhinoplasty and generally takes a bit longer to resolve when an open approach is used.  I advise all of my patients that this may be the case before they have their surgery as it can be very concerning to them if not expected.  I recommend discussing your concerns with your surgeon but expect waiting at least another 4 months will be advised before any consideration of revision.

Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Patience after rhinoplasty.

+1

It takes a minimum of 6-12 months to see how the nose will finally turn out. Swelling makes the nose look asymmetrical, so be patient.

After rhinoplasty waiting is the hardest thing to do

+1

After nine weeks, especially with open rhinoplasty, there is considerable stiffness in the tip and often the bridge of the nose. At this time, waiting is very hard to do. You can use very gentle massage over the tip and bridge, and use sunscreen, however it is too soon to consider revisions. Small imperfections do have a way of working themselves out.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

I see no posted photos? Seek opinion from Jack Gunter in Dallas. Sounds like you will need a revision. Sorry. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl j. Blinski

Revision rhinoplasty

+1

At nine weeks it is too early to perform a revisoin. You should wait at least a year for the swelling to go down.

Too early for revision rhinoplasty

+1

Nine weeks is too early after rhinoplasty to do any intervention other than that required for emergency treatment. At this point, I would advise remaining in close contact with your physician but keeping in mind that a revision may be required around 6 -12 months.

9 weeks post op

+1

Hi,

It sounds like you may have a nostril asymmetry and/or cartilage grafts leaning your nose to the left. If it is very noticeable, most likely you'll need a revision. A picture of your nose would allow me to better evaluate your condition.

Dr.S.

Oleh Slupchynskyj, MD, FACS

Uneven nose

+1

Hello 1849,

It is dificult to tell what is truly going on, even though your description was very good.  You are two months out from your surgery, and you've got plenty of swelling still.  However, it is my experience that asymmetries like you are describing will not get better as the nose continues to heal, and very I am sorry to say that.  It sounds like the tip cartilages are not symmetrical in either size, shape, position, or a combination thereof, and this would have a significant effect on the appearance of the tip, the ala, and the nostrils.

You need to have a conversation with your doctor about this and get his input.  Unfortunately, if it is determined that a surgery will be needed to correct your current issues, than this should not be undertaking at this time. The current standard timing for revision surgery is either within the first two weeks of the original surgery or one year after the original surgery; this moratorium period exists because swelling combined with changes to the tissues associated with healing make accurate revision surgery difficult, if not impossible. However, surgery can be undertaken earlier than one year based on an individual's state of healing.

I hope that you have chosen a doctor certified by either the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.  In addition, I hope that the doctor is a specialist in rhinoplasty and revision rhinoplasty.   If this is not the case, than it might be helpful to get a second opinion.

I am certain that you can get the result you are looking for.  Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS