My Nose is Getting Bigger After Rhynoplasty

I had reduction Rhinoplasty to make the nose smaller about 3 month ago. After getting the splint off, I was happy cause my nose seemed small but now everytime I look in the mirror it seems to be getting bigger.My surgeon told me that massaging will help it, but its only making it worst and sore. Is this normal? should I stop massaging,and will it go down again?

Nose Growing After Rhinoplasty in Patient Not Named Pinocchio

+2

Hi Grimesland,

Massage of your nose should not make it sore 3 months after rhinoplasty, perhaps you are massaging a bit too firmly Sven.  You should have your physician examine your nose carefully to be sure that there is no infection or early cyst formation.  Compare your photos to confirm if your nose is truly getting larger.  Make sure that you tell the truth....I once had this patient named Pinocchio...just kiddin'.  See your rhinoplasty surgeon.  I hope that your nose settles well.

Gippetto

Rhinoplasty Swelling

+2

Swelling for rhinoplasty can last a very long time.  It is in a year's time that all of the swelling would be resolved.  It is not unusual for you to have swelling at 3 months that fluctuates.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

+1
The course of events you describe are unusual to me.  A three months out, I expect that you still have swelling in the nose, but since you describe your nose as getting bigger, then you should discuss that with your surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Nose Enlarging after Rhinoplasty

+1

Temporary swelling is common 3 months after rhinoplasty, especially in patients with thick skin. If the swelling seems to be increasing, contact your surgeon - you may be massaging too hard or have a small infection. If an implant was used,  this can cause an inflammatory reaction. Hopefully, all you have to do is be more patient.

Talk to your surgeon

+1

I would talk to my surgeon. If there is no infection I would just be patient. Sometimes there is some early thickening of the tissue due to the healing process. It takes an entire year for the nose to settle down after rhinoplasty.

I cannot really determine anything more with limited information. Photos would help us also evaluate your condition.

Phillip Langsdon, MD
Germantown Facial Plastic Surgeon

Nose is getting bigger 3 months after surgery

+1

I would discuss your concerns with your surgeon. It makes no sense why your nose would be getting bigger and why  you would be experiencing some inflammatory response at this point in time. I t may help to review your photos as well.

Nose may appear Bigger after Rhinoplasty from Swelling

+1

Hi Grimesland NC in Grimesland NC,

As plastic surgeons have stated, swelling is very common after rhinoplasty. Typically, the nose may look better once the cast is removed, then gradually increases in size. Three months is still early, especially in patients with thicker skin or who have had more extensive rhinoplasty.

Swelling after rhinoplasty is one of the most common questions. Thick skin usually holds edema and swelling longer than thin skin. The nose will continue to change gradually over time.

Rhinoplasty swelling occurs both on the outside and inside of the nose. Most swelling after rhinoplasty resolves within a month. The final 20% of swelling takes a much longer time to resolve, up to a year or longer after surgery. Fortunately, this final swelling is usually only evident to the surgeon and patient.

Time is the best treatment for nasal swelling after cosmetic surgery. Keeping your head elevated, maintaining the nasal splint/cast, ice, arnica montana, and following your plastic surgeon's guideline may help reduce rhinoplasty swelling. Persistent swelling may also be reduced by steroid treatment into the nose.

One must speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon to help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Reduction rhinoplasty - nose getting bigger

+1

3 mo after surgery, most of your swelling should be gone.  I would say that if rubbing your nose is making it sore, you are probably rubbing too hard or too much.  I always tell patients that pain is your body's way of telling you "stop!"  It's difficult to say what is going on with your nose without seeing your pre-op or post-op and current photos.  I would really recommend you continue an open conversation with your surgeon.  He/she will be the best person to help answer your question and tell you what to continue to expect with your recovery.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Catherine Huang-Begovic, MD

Postoperative swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

Postoperative nasal edema is common after rhinoplasty and varies in amount and duration based on the extent of surgery, the skin thickness, and whether the nasal structure was increased or decreased in size.  Patients with thick skin tend to have more swelling then patients with thin skin.  When the nose is made smaller, the skin envelope still remains the same size; this often leads to more tissue swelling as it conforms to the smaller nasal structure.

William D. Losquadro, MD
Westchester Facial Plastic Surgeon