Will Exercises to Flatten out a Cartilage Graft in my Bridge Work?

I had a rhinoplasty 2 months ago to correct a "large roman nose", my surgeon put a cartilage graft on my bridge from behind my ear (i don't know why as i had the hump removed). Now it is visible and the bottom edges cast a shadow sometimes and it has created a small hump which makes my profile not straight as i comes out a little at the top. My surgeon gave me exercises to "massage" it 2x5 minutes a day to flatten it down. I was wondering if this will work and what i am to expect? thanks

+1

Massage of the nose can be beneficial after rhinoplasty.  We all have different reasons of why to do it and when to start.  At 2 months you will still have significant swelling and massage should help for that as well.  It is too early to tell your final results and you should continue to work with your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty takes TIME

+1

I would recommend that you follow your surgeon's advice. There are significant changes that a nose goes through during the healing period, and that can take 6-12 months. Be patient. No matter what happens, I would not recommend any sort of revision until 12 months have gone by.

Andrew C. Campbell, M.D.

Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Palpable graft in nose bridge

+1

It is possible that with some partial graft resorptions and scar maturation, that you may experience some softening of the contours of the graft but that would largely be completed by 2 months after surgery. Give it 4-6 months before considering reomval

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

+1

Sometimes grafts placed high on the nasal bridge can help make a hump look better, and this is a common technique in rhinoplasty. Unfortunately, these grafts can become visible in some patients and usually the ultimate solution is revision nose surgery after six months to one year.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty exercises

+1

It's impossible to tell you exactly what is going on without seeing you and examining you, however massage after rhinoplasty helps with the swelling.  You likely still have some swelling 2 mo after your surgery.  However, I'd recommend you follow your surgeon's instructions.  You'd have to wait for several more months before considering revision rhinoplasty.  I'd advise you keep an open communication with your surgeon.  I'm sure he/she will be happy to discuss what to expect and help you if for some reason you needed a revision in the future.

Dr. Cat Begovic M.D.

Web reference: http://www.makeyouperfect.com

Can nasal massage help flatten prominent cartilage graft?

+1

It sounds like you may have had a radix graft during your surgery. It's hard to make a full assessment without seeing you in person, but I do feel that it's a bit earlier to consider revision surgery. Nasal exercises won't hurt matters in the meantime.

I have personally found it possible to perform minor tweaks to radix grafts using a small hypodermic needle in the office. It has allowed me to shave off a slightly prominent cartilage edge without a formal surgery.

Web reference: http://www.drlamperti.com/facial-plastic-surgery/rhinoplasty

Will Exercises Flatten out a Cartilage Graft in my Nose Bridge?

+1

Regarding: "Will Exercises to Flatten out a Cartilage Graft in my Bridge Work?
I had a rhinoplasty 2 months ago to correct a "large roman nose", my surgeon put a cartilage graft on my bridge from behind my ear (i don't know why as i had the hump removed). Now it is visible and the bottom edges cast a shadow sometimes and it has created a small hump which makes my profile not straight as i comes out a little at the top. My surgeon gave me exercises to "massage" it 2x5 minutes a day to flatten it down. I was wondering if this will work and what i am to expect? thanks"

Without a photograph it is hard to understand from your description the nature of the deformity. A known complication of cartilage grafts is warping and edge visibility. These are caused by the memory of the grafts and will not soften with massaging. Depending on the extent of the deformity you may benefit from fillers placed as a nonsurgical rhinoplasty to cover things up or you may require a formal revision surgery.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Visible Cartilage Grafts After Rhinoplasty

+1

If the edges of the the cartilage graft are indeed the problem, as you describe, then massage will not correct your problem.  Sometime in the future you will most likely need a revision with removal of the graft.  You stated you had a dorsal hump removed, so I am not quite certain why a dorsal onlay graft was placed.  If further dorsal augmentation is needed I would suggest diced cartilage fascia grafts.  These grafts are moldable up to three weeks postop and will not have such visible edges as standard cartilage grafts. ....Good Luck....Dr. Corrado

Web reference: http://www.dranthonycorrado.com/procedures/revision_rhinoplasty.php

Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Massage of cartilage

+1

I think you can massage for an eternity, but the cartilage wil not flatten that way. You may need a revision.

Massage to flatten cartilage nose graft.

+1

Massage will improve only the swelling around the graft and you will not be able to see the final result of the graft for 6-12 months. Then you will know if you will need a revision or not.