How Long Does Skin Reshaping Last After Rhinoplasty?

I received my initial rhinoplasty about 1.5 years ago and because not enough cartlidge was removed on the dorsal part, I had a revision rhinoplasty done abut 6 momnths ago. I know that I have thick skin and I am a slow healer,but I'm getting a bit concerned! The dorsal hump is very much improved but now the skin seems to be too much for the smaller nose.It is not draping tightly and because of this I have dents and "shadows" where the skin is tight and where it is loose.What can I expect? Thank

Revision Rhinoplasty requires longer tme for skin redraping

As you can see, there are varied answers depending on the surgeon. Time will depend on whether an open or endonasal approach was performed. I perform only open approach, therefore, I tell my patients that skin re-contouring may take 6-12 months. After 8 weeks, I have my patients perform gentle massage which aids in lymphatic drainage. Regarding this particular case, there is an excellent chance of the skin re-draping over the next 6 months. In light of the thicker skin and a revision rhinoplasty, I expect swelling to resolve over a longer period of time than normal.

Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

8109 State Road 54
Trinity, FL 34655

Rhinoplasty results evolve over time

Rhinoplasty results evolve and change over time. One of the most interesting exercises an experienced Rhinoplasty surgeon can do is to compare the standard one year post op photos with 10 year long term results. The nose and surgical result will evolved and change!

On primary (first time) nasal surgeries, we expect to see 50% of the swelling gone at 6 weeks, 75% at 6 months, and 90-95 reduction at a year. Thicker skin takes longer than thin skin. Revision longer than first time surgery.

Judicious injections of low dose cortisone can reduce swelling and scar tissue in the supratip area.

Have patience and stay in touch with your surgeon.

Richard L. Dolsky MD

Plastic Surgeon

Richard L. Dolsky, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

191 Presidential Blvd
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004-1207

Skin re-draping after rhinoplasty

Believe it or not, it may take up to 2 years for final result to manifest.  I am not exactly sure about the skin in this case, but at least a year.  Your doctor should examine you to give you the best idea, as you do not provide pics.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

2813 W Southlake Blvd
Southlake, TX 76092

The Skin Eventually Fits After Rhinoplasty

Hi Cleveland,

With thick, young skin it may take a few years for your nose to settle.  It does take time so be patient and eventually your skin will drape better.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

16311 Ventura Blvd
Encino, CA 91436

How long does skin redraping take after rhinoplasty

The skin redraping process takes at least a year (even longer with thicker skin or revision cases). I will sometimes have my patients do exercises to help stretch the skin over the bridge to help things along, but it does take time.

Thomas A. Lamperti, MD

1101 Madison Street
Seattle, WA 98104

Thick Skin and Revision Rhinoplasty

Hi Cleveland3286 in Cleveland, OH,

6 months is still relatively early after revision rhinoplasty surgery. The skin continues to shrink and tighten slowly over time.

Thick skin patients more likely develop scar tissue after rhinoplasty, as compared to thin skin patients. Thick skin may also require removal of some extra soft, fibrofatty tissue deep under the skin during surgery, effectively "thinning" the skin. Lastly, steroid injection after surgery help reduce swelling and scarring to further refine the nose.

The "final" rhinoplasty results for thick skin patient is typically farther out from surgery as compared to thin skin patient. Only after a comprehensive evaluation can a rhinoplasty surgeon help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Houtan Chaboki, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

2300 M St NW
Washington, DC 20037

Nasal Appearance After Revision Rhinoplasty

The final shape and appearance of the nose following rhinoplasty is not fully determined until at least one year after surgery.  Even after one year, the nasal appearance will continue to mature over time.  In your situation, the "skin soft tissue envelope" will take some time to settle.  The "shrink wrap effect" of scar tissue formation under the skin will take upwards of a year.  Good Luck, Dr. Corrado

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

University Doctors Pavilion 42 E. Laurel Road
Stratford, NJ 08084

Skin Reshaping After Rhinoplasty

After a revision rhinoplasty, which you state you had 6 months ago, often times it will take up to 1 year to see your final results.  The shadowing and asymmetry that you describe may or may not be attributed to swelling.  It may also be a result of scar tissue formation or irregularity of the underlying tissues.  I would encourage you to see your operating surgeon to be evaluated.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

320 Superior Avenue
Newport Beach, CA 92663

Rhinoplasty results

Edema is quite common and can last for 6 months to a year and sometimes longer. Give it some more time.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Final results after rhinoplasty

After rhinoplasty the skin changes required to conform over the new nasal form can take up to six to twelve months With thicker skin or a prior rhinoplasty expect the final results to appear later rather than sooner. Light massage may help to soften the skin and don't forget about sunscreen.

8901 West Golf Road
Des Plaines, IL 60016