Will Taping Help Upturned Nose After Rhinoplasty?

It is 1 week after my rhinoplasty procedure and my nose looks too upturned. I used to have a very straight, pointing downward nose when I smile and my doctor suggested loosening up the muscle under my lip. I know swelling should reduce but it still seems like a big overcorrection to me. Would taping it down help in the first few weeks?

Patience is a critical virtue in rhinoplasty

+1

It is not unusual for postoperative swelling to give the appearance of an excessively elevated tip shortly after rhinoplasty.  This almost always drops as inflammation from the surgery resolves with time- be patient!

Santa Barbara Plastic Surgeon

Taping Will Not Help Upturned Nose One Week After Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi,

Speak with your rhinoplasty surgeon regarding your concerns and questions.  I would not advise taping your nose.  With time it will "fall" into place.  It does take time, be patient.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

The tip of your nose will continue to lower after your Rhinoplasty Surgery.

+1

If your tip appears too "upturned" i week following Rhinoplasty Surgery, it will lower fairly quickly to its permanent position. Unless you get specific instructions from your surgeon, I would not suggest taping or manipulating your nose.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Time will help

+1

At one week, usually all noses are too upturned. It will come down over the next few weeks. Do NO surgery to get it down --- let time take it's course.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Taping help upturned nose after rhinoplasty

+1

Only follow the advise of your surgeon!!!! At 1 week still toooooo much edema to advise you if taping will help . In fact it might hurt the final result.

From MIAMI Dr. B

Taping Upturned Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Cutting the depressor muscle at the base of the nose will not cause increased rotation. Your nose does not look "upturned'  - you're only one week after surgery. Pre-operatively I tell my patients they may have this appearance for a very short time secondary to swelling. Tip rotation is set during surgery, not by post-operative manipulation. Be patient.

Tip over rotation after rhinoplasty?

+1

From the one photo you provide, the nose looks beautiful.  From my experience, the tip will drop over time, and swelling will also go down.  Please don't do anything to the nose without checking with your doctor.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

I would not recommend taping down the nose to correct the "upturn" as it will resolve on its own.

+1

I would not recommend taping down the nose to correct the "upturn" as it will resolve on its own.   The depressor of the nose is almost always divided when doing a rhinoplasty tpo gain access to the nasal structures.  At one wekk it is far too soon to tell and other than helping to decrease swelling, the tape will not bring the tip down significantly if at all.  Let nature takes its course and from the look at this time I feel you will be very happy in the end.  If you are not happy, however, do not hesitate to discuss this with your plastic surgeon to see if he has any other recommendations or can allay your fears.

Steven Schuster, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Reason for Taping the Nose after a Nose Job

+1

We tape the nose for two major reasons; One, to keep the skin against the cartilage and bone framework despite the centrifugal forces of post-surgical swelling. Second, the splint the nose and prevent skin movement.

The severing of the muscle pulling the lip up and nose down on smiling (Depressor Septi Nasalis) did not rotate your tip upwards. The muscle is tiny and normally attaches to the base of the septum and lip. It is not involved is tip rotation.

The ideal nose has a SUPRA TIP BREAK POINT which defines the end of the dorsum and beginning of the tip. You may be referring to this feature. This greatly enhanced the side view of the nose. If you feel that your surgeon rotated your tip too much and too much of the nostrils are showing in the frontal view you should discuss it with your surgeon.

You appear to have a great result with minimal swelling after one week. Have more trust in your surgeon. I think you will love your final result!