Uneven Swelling 6 Months Post Op Rhinoplasty? (photo)

I had closed rhinoplasty about 6 months ago but the result is still uneven. In 3 times follow up after surgery, I have consulted with the doctor and he just simply said that I have thick skin and all the swollen will resolve in 1.5 to 2 years. But I concern that the uneven swollen will be permanent cause when I touch the area it feels hard. I am an asian male to female trans woman. Got rhinoplasty to make the nose look smaller more feminine. I dont know if this information would help.

Uneven Swelling 6 Months after Rhinoplasty

+1

Swelling is rarely symmetric, and in thicker skinned patients such as yourself I would wait another year before making any decisions on revisions.  You result as it is now is good.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Asymmetry after rhinoplasty

+1

Hi

It is common to have some asymmetry after rhinoplasty (and before! - no one has perfectly symmetrical features). Even if exactly the same procedure is done to each side, the healing can still cause some subtle differences to appear.

In your case, other views (basal view, side views) will be helpful; but from what I see I would not recommend any further surgery.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Being Realistic After Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

First, you have to be realistic about what rhinoplasty surgery can achieve. You will never have a perfectly symmetrical nose given human nature. The goal in every rhinoplasty is for improvement. That being said, you will see asymmetric swelling of the nose for upwards of one year after rhinoplasty surgery. Keep this in mind as you heal. In some cases, steroid injections can be used to help mold the healing process and address unwanted swelling. Check with your rhinoplasty surgeon about this option. Happy healing. 

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

On the nasal tip means protracted swelling after rhinoplasty.

+1

The Asian nose in the picture demonstrates thickness of tissue in the tip illustrative of the ethnic nose. In patients with thicker skin the swelling will persist longer. How long varies from patient to patient. Keep in touch with your surgeon and the patient.