Pain Three Months After Rhinoplasty & Inability to Pick Nose?

Hi there, Three months ago, I had extensive rhinoplasty - to reduce a hump, make the nose less long, make it less bulbousy, use the cartilage from the top to create nicer nostrils... Since then, whenever my nose is bumped (especially when it's bumped in an upward direction from under my nose), I have terrible pain that seems disproportionate to the event. Is this normal? Also, I can't seem to pick the inside of the tip of my nose anymore. Embarrassing, but true. Normal? Thanks...

Three Months after Rhinoplasty and Pain upon Bumping

+1

Sensitivity to minor trauma 3 months after rhinoplasty may not be unusual.  I would not recommend picking at or trying to pick at your nose after rhinoplasty.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Sensative nose after rhinoplasty

+1

During initial healing process nasal tip is extremely sensitive to temperature and touch due to swelling associated with surgery. It is not unusual to have this feeling three months after surgery. In some instances it takes about a year for the nasal tip to feel and look normal. I would recommend talking to your plastic surgeon about this issue. Good luck with healing.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Pain three months after rhinoplasty

+1

It is not abnormal to still have sensitivity three months after surgery. I would recommend discussing any post-operative concerns with your surgeon, as they know the extent of your procedure and exactly what was performed. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck with the remainder of your recovery. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Rhinoplasty issues

+1

At three months the nose may be sensitive to bumping etc, and the nostrils and tip will often be very stiff. All these things shoudl improve with time.

Pain 3 months after rhinoplasty

+1

I have seen this in a few patients over the years. What I can tell you with 99.9% certainty is that it will go away. What I cannot tell you is when. I would ask your surgeon if it is ok for you to take a 4 or 5 day course of anti-inflammatories to see if that helps. As for picking your nose, the changes done on the outside of the nose also cause changes on the inside. Therefor, you might have to use your pinkies!

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon