Would Septoplasty Straighten my Nose? (photo)

As you can tell from the picture, the bridge of my nose is crooked due to a deviated septum. Would septoplasty help straighten this at all or would I need rhinoplasty? I honestly can't afford rhinoplasty and septoplasty is covered by my insurance.

Septorhinoplasty

+1

While septoplasty may have some effect on the look of the nose, the septal deviation surgery usually involves removal of a nasal obstruction.  The cosmetic portion of the septoplasty would be altering of the L-strut.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

You would benefit from both a septoplasty and a rhinoplasty

+1

Looking at your photos I would say that your nose is crooked both from a deviated septum with is the lower half and deviated bones which is the upper half. A traditional septoplasty done from inside the nose (also called endonasal) would not do much to straighten your nose. If you had an open septoplasty where both the septum up high and where the nasal cartilage attaches to it can help straighten the nose. This open septoplasty can be done alone or as part of a rhinoplasty. You need to find an expert at both functional and cosmetic nasal surgery to help you with this problem.

Ivan Wayne, MD
Oklahoma City Facial Plastic Surgeon

Would a septoplasty straighten my nose

+1

A septoplasty will not straighten your nose.  You should undergo a septorhinoplasty which would  include removing the crooked part of your septum and straightening  your nose with a combination of cartilage grafts and breaking the bones of your nose.

Robert Kearney, MD, FACS
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Not only septoplasty

+1

Looks like you might need an open septoplasty to straighten and stabilize the septum combined with straightening of the bones, called osteotomies.  Your nasal bones go one way, and the septum goes the other way.  I have attached a link on crooked noses.

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dose septoplasty correct my crooked nose?

+1

Septoplasty alone is designed to improve the function of an obstructed nose and it is usually covered by your insurance. Rhinoplasty is designed to improve the aesthetic shape of a nose. You need both of these procedures, which is known as septorhinoplasty.  

Kevin Sadati, DO

Septoplasty will improve your breathing

+1

Septoplasty is an operation to improve the breathing of the nose due to a twisted nasal septum. It is unlikely to have any affect on straightening the external appearance that you desire.

Robert Mounsey, MD
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty or rhinoplasty

+1

You need both a septoplasty and rhinoplasty to straigthen the nose in your case.  The septum alone can be straigthened but will not affect the external appearance without a formal rhinoplasty including osteotomies and spreader grafts.  Donald R. Nunn MD  Atlanta Plastic Surgeon.

Donald Nunn, MD

Septorhinoplasty Candidate

+1

Performing a septorhinoplasty will allow you both proper function and beautiful aesthetics.  The "septo" portion would address the deviated septum and improve your breathing difficulties while the "rhinoplasty' portion would address the aesthetic needs. It is best to do both of these procedures in conjunction with one another. Best regards, Michael V. Elam, M.D.

Michael Elam, MD

Septoplasty

+1

Great question. The answer is simply "no" or very little.  Fix your septum now and do the cosmetic work later when you can afford it!

James B. Lowe III, MD
Oklahoma City Plastic Surgeon

Would Septoplasty Straighten my Nose?

+1

No, absolutely, septumplasty  only treat your inner nose, if you want something aesthetic on your nose, visit a plastic surgeon.

Maria Cristina Picon, MD
Argentina Plastic Surgeon