Can an Umbilicoplasty Repair my Outie Belly Button? (photo)

I had my second child August of last year and my belly button has become an outie. The first pregnancy I bounced back and it was a shallow innie and now it is a full on outie and I don't believe this will ever change. Would I be a good candidate for an umbilicoplasty? Are there any doctors in NC that perform this procedure? I am not wanting a tummy tuck, just repair of my belly button.

Umbilicoplasty for Outie Repair

+2

Most 'outie conversions' after pregnancy represent a protrusion of peritoneal fat that has pushed out the stalk of the belly button base. In essence, a very small hernia. Your type of umbilicoplasty means that it must have a simultaneous closure of the small hernia hole and retacking down the belly buttom stalk.

Web reference: http://www.eppleyplasticsurgery.com

+2

Appears as you have a post pregnancy umbilical hernia. Best to see a hernia/general surgeon to repair. 

"Outie" Belly Button after Pregnancy

+2

Fro what you describe, you may want to make sure the problem is not caused by a hernia. A plastic surgeon or general surgeon can evaluate this. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Can an "Outie" Belly Button be Changed to an "Innie?" Ask Dr Ellen

+2

Hello Jasmine,

Yes, you can change and "outie" to an "innie" but before doing that, you want to be sure that your do not have a small hernia behind it.  A hernia would change the selection of procedures and may also change whether this is done in an office setting or requires an operating room.

Many plastic surgeons are also trained in general surgery and are quite comfortable with making this assessment.  If you do not know of any, seek out a general surgeon for a consultation.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Westport Plastic Surgeon

Belly button repair

+2

You might have a hernia around your belly button.  For this, I would recommend seeing a general surgeon in your area to see if this can be corrected.  Good luck!

Web reference: http://www.baltimoreplasticsurgery.com/Procedures_TummyTuck_865369.aspx

Can an Umbilicoplasty Repair my Outie Belly Button

+2

This sounds and looks like an umbilical hernia, and that would best be confirmed on a physical exam. Since you are not interested in a TT, best bet would be to see a general surgeon. Your physician can make a referral to someone he or she knows and trusts. All the best. 

Repair of your "outie" should be straightforward

+1

It should be fairly straightforward to repair your "outie" or umbilical hernia, and it doesn't have to involve a tummy tuck.  You should have acceptable scarring.  Good luck.

"Outie" belly button

+1

Having an "outie" belly button after pregnancy usually means you have a hernia.  This can be easily repaired by a general surgeon or plastic surgeon.  I usually repair those I encounter myself since I am board certified in both plastic and general surgery.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon