Ask a doctor

Can an Umbilicoplasty Repair my Outie Belly Button? (photo)

I had my second child August of last year and my belly button has become an outie. The first pregnancy I bounced back and it was a shallow innie and now it is a full on outie and I don't believe this will ever change. Would I be a good candidate for an umbilicoplasty? Are there any doctors in NC that perform this procedure? I am not wanting a tummy tuck, just repair of my belly button.

Doctor Answers (8)

Umbilicoplasty for Outie Repair


Most 'outie conversions' after pregnancy represent a protrusion of peritoneal fat that has pushed out the stalk of the belly button base. In essence, a very small hernia. Your type of umbilicoplasty means that it must have a simultaneous closure of the small hernia hole and retacking down the belly buttom stalk.

Web reference:

Indianapolis Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 26 reviews

Can an Umbilicoplasty Repair my Outie Belly Button? (photo)


Appears as you have a post pregnancy umbilical hernia. Best to see a hernia/general surgeon to repair. 

Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 55 reviews

"Outie" Belly Button after Pregnancy


Fro what you describe, you may want to make sure the problem is not caused by a hernia. A plastic surgeon or general surgeon can evaluate this. 

Columbus Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 16 reviews

Can an "Outie" Belly Button be Changed to an "Innie?" Ask Dr Ellen


Hello Jasmine,

Yes, you can change and "outie" to an "innie" but before doing that, you want to be sure that your do not have a small hernia behind it.  A hernia would change the selection of procedures and may also change whether this is done in an office setting or requires an operating room.

Many plastic surgeons are also trained in general surgery and are quite comfortable with making this assessment.  If you do not know of any, seek out a general surgeon for a consultation.

Thanks for asking!  Dr Ellen

Westport Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 8 reviews

Belly button repair


You might have a hernia around your belly button.  For this, I would recommend seeing a general surgeon in your area to see if this can be corrected.  Good luck!

Web reference:

Baltimore Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 61 reviews

Can an Umbilicoplasty Repair my Outie Belly Button


This sounds and looks like an umbilical hernia, and that would best be confirmed on a physical exam. Since you are not interested in a TT, best bet would be to see a general surgeon. Your physician can make a referral to someone he or she knows and trusts. All the best. 

Seattle Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 28 reviews

Repair of your "outie" should be straightforward


It should be fairly straightforward to repair your "outie" or umbilical hernia, and it doesn't have to involve a tummy tuck.  You should have acceptable scarring.  Good luck.

San Diego Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

"Outie" belly button


Having an "outie" belly button after pregnancy usually means you have a hernia.  This can be easily repaired by a general surgeon or plastic surgeon.  I usually repair those I encounter myself since I am board certified in both plastic and general surgery.

Mobile Plastic Surgeon
4.0 out of 5 stars 6 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.

You might also like...